Stenner Help

spoonman

Jun 16, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Hi folks,

I just installed a Stenner pump which I plan on using for acid. Everything is set, I just need to fill the tank and program the unit (Econ series).

My plan is to set the timer so that I can dose a fixed amount of MA each day when my pump is running high. My goal is to keep a stable range of pH of between 7.6 and 7.8. Are there any factors that I should consider as I plan out my dosing? I do use liquid chlorine to sanitize but am not sure exactly what impact that will have on my dosing regimen.

12785.jpg

IF you're using 20 Baumé (31.45%) acid I'd consider diluting it with distilled water about half and half. That will allow you to extend the run time of the pump and have a little better control over the exact amount you inject. Then it's just a matter of narrowing down the exact amount of time to run the pump to maintain the pH where you want it.

I'm actually a bit on the fence about whether I should use my Stenner for chlorine or acid. I maintain a liquid chlorinated pool, but my pH is a bit harder to control than my chlorine levels.

Stenner for Acid Pros...

- Easier to hold a steady level vs chlorine?
- Controlling pH more consequential than chlorine (if you had to pick...high pH especially problematic in AZ due to CH)
- Fewer tank refills (less fluid use)
- Less/no product degradation outside

Stenner pros for Chlorine...

- Less concern over over/under dosing compared to acid (especially when talking about overdosing)

Would love to get some more feedback. Also thoughts on whether holding a steady pH range is difficult.

I'd vote for using the Stenner for chlorine. then add acid as needed. Chlorine is always needed to keep a pool sanitary. pH can drift some without any real concern. If you overdose chlorine, no big deal. If you overdose acid, you could have some real issues with ultra low pH.
If you have a "good" TA, then pH rise shouldn't make you pull your hair out.

Thanks for the opinions.

Today I filled the Stenner tank with Chlorine and programmed the timer to run nightly when my pump runs on high.

I’m pumping 18oz/day to start, which totals 1/gallon per week. Based on my pool volume this will add 1.5ppm per day. I’m expecting quite a bit of fine tuning to get things dialed in.

You will need to increase that, normal FC consumption is from 2-4ppm per day. I can also recommend to uninstall the stenner pump from the container and keep it a few feet from the container to prevent premature corrosion. You can always extend the hoses to the tank.

Felipe

I have the UV resistant tank (pictured above) for my chlorine. Will that be enough to protect the chlorine, or do I need to further cover the tank to keep it out of the sun? My tank is on the side of my house and will be in a mix of sun and shade.

You should be ok as is. As the year progresses, you will use closer to 1/2 gallon of bleach a day. Try it out. If you find the bleach is degrading too fast, then only fill it half full at a time.
I have a 15 gallon tank and I only fill it half way at a time. That lasts me at least 2 weeks between refills and I can live with that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It seems a little tricky because as you say, you don't want to put too much chlorine in the tank. At the same time, the end of the tube sits a couple inches from the bottom of the tank. That means you probably already have a few gallons of chlorine at the bottom of the tank just to keep a buffer from the bottom of the tube to minimize sediment. As you say, the 15 gallon tank may only give you a few gallons of usable bleach at a time unless you fill it up high and risk degradation.

However, I live in Phoenix and am not sure that keeping the chlorine outside in a UV container (in the sun though) is much worse than keeping it in my hot garage. I'd rather not have to bury the tank, but as Felipe suggested, this might allow me to runa full 15 gallons and keep the chlorine much cooler due to less sun exposure and the cooling of the earth.

Maybe a medium ground is using a piece of wood or something to shield the tank from direct sun?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.