Stenner Econ T pump timer issue

elier99

Bronze Supporter
Sep 18, 2019
Puerto Rico
Hi,

I’m currently using a Stenner Econ T pump to dispense liquid chlorine. During startup testing I found a situation that can potentially cause the pump to continue running and not stopping at the programmed time. Since I saw some users are also using this pump I just wanted to share the information.

The situation can occur if the pump power is cut off when the pump is running and the Timer Off event occurs while the power is off. When the power is restored the pump will continue operating and will not stop until another Timer Off event is triggered.

I shared this finding with Stenner support and they were able to replicate the situation at their office. Their recommendation is to install a redundant external timer as a protection.

I’m disappointed with their suggestion as installing an additional timer will defeat the purpose of getting a pump with an integrated timer but at least should prevent the pump running longer than programmed.

That is a dangerous bug. When power is restored the pump should not run until the next ON interval.

Putting the Stenner pump on an external timer makes no sense as yiu have no idea when to set that timer to turn OFF.

The Econ T has 24 programming slots. If you still want to use the device I would put OFF settings in all the unused slots to try and minimize any damage. Although I would trash the unit and look for another more reliable solution.

It is indeed a dangerous bug. I’m planning to install a secondary timer connected to the filter pump timer. With this configuration I will energize the Stenner pump only during the first minutes of operation of the filter. This approach will require to synchronize the filter timer with the Stenner pump.

The Econ T timer have very limited options. Programming the Timer Off without a Timer On counterpart per slot is not possible. Disabling the timer operation is also not possible unless the timer board is removed from the pump.

A few months ago we had our entire acid tank empty into our pool. We heard the acid pump running, went to check, and saw the tank empty with the pump still going. There was no way to turn off the pump from the Intellichem system; I tried changing several settings that should have turned it off. The only way to stop the pump was cutting power to the entire pool system from the breaker. When we turned it back on, the acid pump resumed pumping the now-empty tank. Pentair had no explanation. I wonder if the Stenner was stuck in "on" as the OP describes.

This is an issue with old firmware. This problem has been recognized and rectified by our engineering department - if you run into this problem you would need to just call in to our tech department (800) 683-2378 and obtain an RMA number. You would then ship the pump to us in Jacksonville, FL and we could update the firmware for you. Our Econ T pumps in production now DO NOT have this problem.

Stenner Technical Support

This is an issue with old firmware. This problem has been recognized and rectified by our engineering department - if you run into this problem you would need to just call in to our tech department (800) 683-2378 and obtain an RMA number. You would then ship the pump to us in Jacksonville, FL and we could update the firmware for you. Our Econ T pumps in production now DO NOT have this problem.

Stenner Technical Support
I purchased a pump from Pool Web in May 2023 and it is having a similar problem. It just runs and doesn't shut off even when setting it to off using the Manual button. I have not let it run long enough to hit the next programmed Timer Off event to see if it will shut off then. It is seral #050923NY0007325. I don't know the serial number system but I wonder if the first 6 numbers are the month, date, year of manufacturer. That would lead me to believe this pump was manufactured on 5/9/23 which is the day before mine shipped which is well after Stenner Tech Support says there was a firmware fix. Maybe my issue is different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.