Steel wall pool installed on the ground

mccreatc

Feb 8, 2023
Westchester NY
Hi everyone, I moved to a house that had a Fanta-sea pool with a deck around it. The pool is rectangular and the walls are on the ground and the deepest part is dug into the ground for another 3 feet or so. I did not know better and spent a lot of money fixing up the deck so it looks very nice. The pool walls have pushed out and the deck has bowed out about 1 foot. I have been using it like this for years, but now the liner needs to be replaced and I cannot find anyone who can replace the liner. We have decided to replace the pool, and would like to keep the deck. I have an installer who says that he can install a steel wall pool kit and put concrete a couple of feet above the base to keep it from moving. Someone else told me that the wall can still push out. I don't want spend money and have the walls push again. The area is pretty rocky and I think that I will hit rock if I do an inground pool, plus we really want to keep the deck. Is there any way to make this work? Please help!! I cant seem to figure this out. I looked online and have not seen anyone do this with a steel wall pool. What are my options if it is not possible? Is the installer (local guy) right about the walls not pushing out?

Hey McCreatc and Welcome !!! Got any pics ? I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about and they were popular by me back in the day.

I think kayak is a cousin/sister of yours that looks like this : (or somewhat similar)

Screenshot_20230208_184456_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230208_185006_Chrome.jpg

What are the dimensions of your pool?

Show us pics of your current situation.

Are you talking about using a inground steel walled pool kit largely above ground? Such a pool uses the surrounding backfilled ground for stability. The steel walls are not made to stand alone or be exposed.

Your installer would need to build a concrete bowl to surround the steel walls. Has he ever gone that before?

I will send some better pictures tomorrow as its night time here now. The pool is 20 x 40 and here is a picture. Yes, the installer has done these before and will add concrete at the bottom, I am concerned that it wont be high enough to keep the walls from pushing out. It was a Fanta-Sea pool, but I removed the solar panels and put decking on top. I did put additional bracing on the plywood that makes up the wall of the pool.

Screenshot 2023-02-08 194149.png
The poolkit is a 20 x 40 rectangular steel wall pool kit from AquaSteelpools.com or poolwarehouse.com.

This is what it looked like before I removed the solar panels from the inside perimeter of the pool.

Screenshot 2023-02-08 195012.png

If you look in the middle of the pool, you will see a section that is dug into the ground. The walls are 4 feet at the shallow end and made of plywood and sits on the ground, the deep part is about another 4 feet dug in the ground. The steel walls would sit below the deck on the ground backfilled by concrete at the base.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are looking to preserve the deck since you put money into it.

How is the installer going to install the pool walls and prepare the ground, and pour the concrete without removing the deck?

It sounds like you are looking to preserve the deck since you put money into it.

How is the installer going to install the pool walls and prepare the ground, and pour the concrete without removing the deck?
The deck boards will come off, the old pool walls removed, and the only thing remaining are the supports for the deck so I can put the trex back on after he does the pool.

I was hoping there was more room underneath to be able to get concrete forms in/out of there somehow. I don't see how they'll do anything without moderate altering of the deck framing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was hoping there was more room underneath to be able to get concrete forms in/out of there somehow. I don't see how they'll do anything without moderate altering of the deck framing.
The installer said that the aquasteel pools walls don't require it to be inground or have dirt backfill. He says that he will put 18 inches of concrete around the pool and it will not move at all. He swears that he has done this type of installation before, and that he can preserve the deck structure because the concrete forms will not be needed.

Reactions: Newdude
The installer said that the aquasteel pools walls don't require it to be inground or have dirt backfill. He says that he will put 18 inches of concrete around the pool and it will not move at all. He swears that he has done this type of installation before, and that he can preserve the deck structure because the concrete forms will not be needed.
Let him get 2 references locally to back his word.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.