Static shock Desperate need help Semi in ground

Apr 5, 2015
farmingdale NY
I know this has been covered but every case is a little different. No one believes me ! Every now and then I get a static kind of shock on my finger tip when touching the water with shoes on standing on my deck . The deck is new btw. This happens with the filter off and unplugged. . Seems to happen after I arrive from my hour drive from work and go straight back to the pool after arriving home . It does not happen when I stand in the same spot bare footed or even when the deck is wet.
I will continue further when the experts chime in. But the pool is bonded . I don’t want to shrug it off yet I don’t want to pay a master electrician for nothing.

Attachments

• 5CE94F26-8E34-4247-8AFF-68C46B32A399.jpeg
    5CE94F26-8E34-4247-8AFF-68C46B32A399.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 48
It looks like your deck is a synthetic material. If the shock dissipates when touching the water, then I would say it is a pretty good bet you are simply discharging static electricity accumulated by walking on a dry deck. A wet deck would be less prone to static generation as would going barefoot because there is less friction. If the shock continues after touching the water, then that is another problem altogether.

Static shocks from composite decking are a known annoyance, especially in dry climates. Would definitely call builder, supplier, manufacturer to see what they recommend. I think there are several “staticides” available, but they need to be reapplied often and are far from an ideal solution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like your deck is a synthetic material. If the shock dissipates when touching the water, then I would say it is a pretty good bet you are simply discharging static electricity accumulated by walking on a dry deck. A wet deck would be less prone to static generation as would going barefoot because there is less friction. If the shock continues after touching the water, then that is another problem altogether.
Thank you. This is what im hoping .

I posted this earlier on a similar post and thought I’d share since you question is similar.
Bonding or Grounding can do nothing for you. Plastic is a non-conductor and electrical charges cannot move through it.
The static charges you are getting are generated by friction, at the point of contact between your shoe and the deck.

Licensed Electrician

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.