Startup SWG chlorinator salt for new pool

i just tested at 4pm and for the first time i got target FC 35, i been testing every 2 hours and each time is been down, but this time its bang on target, the Chlorine is good is dated just a few weeks old bought it today,

as for pool math i have it set to , Bleach, 12.5% i think thats correct ? the Chlorine tub says 130g / L available chlorine as Sodium Hypochlorite
130 g/L is actually 13%. 12.5% in pool math should be close enough

Reactions: FIESTA62
Looks like you're getting there, good job!

And keep brushing to make sure that there really is no algae left. There also are some hiding spots like behind the skimmer weir, in the vacuum hose, behind the lights where algae sometimes keeps lurking around. If there are any pool toys, then it might be worth checking them, old water in nerf guns, make sure all that gets a good soak with SLAM water. Removable pool equipment, stuff like that.

I think you're starting to see the SLAM working, if I'm understanding your reports. You were getting wild FC swings while the algae was active, now that it's dying (or dead) you're starting to see less FC loss between tests. That's what we were shooting for...

If you're bored... Some folks take pictures of their pool during a SLAM. Same time of day each day. From an angle that best shows the water's color and clarity. A pool's improvement during a SLAM can be very subtle. But a picture history can reveal color and clarity changes you might not be noticing...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok so 9.30 tested 5ml FC 33.......

now pool mostly in sun test at 1030 just 1 hour after last test now FC 27, drop 6, in 1 hour .....added another 2.5 litres...and yep brushed pool

i got new regent and powder, i will be using for future tests, in say 2 hours

Last edited:
Hmm, that seems like a lot in 6 hours. Maybe some testing errors? If not, keep doing what you're doing. Just be sure to test consistently. Use the same exact method from test to test. Rinse everything well (with the sample pool water). Take your sample pool water from at least 18" below the surface, from the same place in the pool each time. Keep the reagent perfectly vertical when dropping. Etc. Try to do the testing exactly the same each time. Other than that, ya got the green so do your theeng.

Reactions: FIESTA62 and mgtfp
testing errors?
i am doing exactly as u say, same place in pool for test water, elbow depth, 5 ml sample, rinse everything with pool water, drop bottle vertical and drops as even as possible, using speed sir, now new regent and powder, and chlorine

ok so tested at 1030 got FC 27 pool in sun now, added 2 litre.....test 12.45 FC 30 add 2 litre

see pics of pool looks great, got wife to look for stain just in case i am going mad and she sees nothing but clear water

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Dirk
Sounds good. You just have to keep going until the FC holds. Don't ignore some of the other tips you were given. Just because the stain is not visible anymore doesn't necessarily mean you're free of algae. When you brush, it gets set free into the water. And it could be hiding elsewhere (skimmer, light niche, vac hose, ladders, drains, etc). If the FC loss continues (more than just normal loss), you gotta start looking in the hiding places.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.