Starting up SWG this weekend. Checklist?

Texassaltpool

Dec 29, 2020
Leander, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I believe I have read through all the articles pertaining to this and feel like I know what I’m doing but can’t hurt to ask the experts right??

I did a salt test today and it is 1,000 ppm before adding any salt.
Based on this Hayward chart for a 15k gallon pool the recommendation is 293 lbs so 7 bags.
I plant to add 5 tonight and brush really well then run the pump for 24 hours?

retest salt in the morning and add more as needed, brush run pump again?
Turn on SWG Saturday.
My FC is at a 7.5 today, we have been adding a gallon a day basically of liquid chlorine. Do I let that come down some or wait until after we run the SWG?

my CYS is 30 so I’m working on raising that but read it is best to bring it up to 79 after turning on SWG?
Thanks

Attachments

• BFEFDA4F-2DC4-4151-8BA0-06168E313397.jpeg
    BFEFDA4F-2DC4-4151-8BA0-06168E313397.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 5
You have the right idea. Since you plan on turning on the SWG Saturday, I'd add the stabilizer Friday. Try to achieve a CYA target of about 70 and you should be good. From there, monitor the FC each day. If you need to adjust the FC, change the SWG output and/or pump run time. The PoolMath APP (Effects of Adding) can help you with that as well.

Hey TSP !! Good luck on your journey. It’s SO exciting once everything is dialed in and…….. it’s mind numbinly boring with nothing to do. Lol.
Based on this Hayward chart for a 15k gallon pool the recommendation is 293 lbs so 7 bags
They are right but the poolmath app is so much easier. If you already have the app you probably have to turn on salt in the settings for it to populate with the others

PS. Your plan sounds great. Keep us posted. (y)

You have the right idea. Since you plan on turning on the SWG Saturday, I'd add the stabilizer Friday. Try to achieve a CYA target of about 70 and you should be good. From there, monitor the FC each day. If you need to adjust the FC, change the SWG output and/or pump run time. The PoolMath APP (Effects of Adding) can help you with that as well.
Thanks. Added added conditioner today to brink yo cya. Tested salt again and sitting at 2600 ppm so using pool math app I’m adding another two bags to hit target if 3200? I thought I read some higher at first though so should I add 3 bags?
Last question FC is at a 3 today. Not turning on SWG til tomorrow afternoon should I add chlorine as usual to bring that up in the meantime then let SWG take over tomorrow. Thanks again! Y’all are soooo helpful!

We started the SWG Sunday at 70% to get going. FC was at a 4 when we started it up. Yesterday FC was at a 6.5 so I dialed back the output to 60%. Today we are at a 7.5 so SWG is def working but I’m not sure if I need to dial it back more? What’s the best way to figure out % output and hours to run the pump. We currently have the pump on an 8 hour 8-5pm cycle.
Should I dial back to 50% and check again tomorrow to make sure it’s maintaining.

thanks!
Also my TA is staying around 110 having trouble getting it down to recommend level. Any tips here? We already dose acid daily to control PH.

We started the SWG Sunday at 70% to get going. FC was at a 4 when we started it up. Yesterday FC was at a 6.5 so I dialed back the output to 60%. Today we are at a 7.5 so SWG is def working but I’m not sure if I need to dial it back more? What’s the best way to figure out % output and hours to run the pump. We currently have the pump on an 8 hour 8-5pm cycle.
Should I dial back to 50% and check again tomorrow to make sure it’s maintaining.

thanks!
Also my TA is staying around 110 having trouble getting it down to recommend level. Any tips here? We already dose acid daily to control PH.
Also current CYA is 70

What’s the best way to figure out % output and hours to run the pump.
The PoolMath APPs "effects of Adding" is good for that one. But if you find the FC still trying to climb, simply reduce either the output or pump run time. Either is fine. You'll end-up doing that more as our days get shorter and temps begin to fall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.