Starting up SWG. Do I have a problem?

rht3232

Jun 21, 2022
Porter, Tx
PB finally added salt to the pool and started firing up the SWG about a week or so ago. I have also been adjusting my VSP and playing with the schedule since the PB had it on full speed for about 30 days.

I’ve noticed some bubbles. Sometimes a lot of bubbles. I know I have read that bubbles are normal with a SWG, but I’m getting enough bubbles to concern me. Started with noticing some bubbles coming up from the spa drain and one or two return jets in the pool.

I started running the pump at around 1650 rpm since that appears to be barely enough to get a trickle of water over the spillway. But I’ve started noticing after a few hours I’m not hearing the trickle of water anymore. So I ramped up the pump to 2750 and then I get a glut of bubbles coming out of the spa drain. I can then slow down to 1650 again and I get the trickle of water for a few hours before it gets clogged up with air/gas again.

Is this really normal?

Pool is about 13200 gallons. Jandy aquapure 1400 salt cell. Measured the salt level at 3400 with the TF Pro salt kit. The cell measured salt seems to be bouncing around between 3400 and 3800. Pool chem levels are still off a bit, PB is managing the chems at the moment, last visit supposed to be next week.

Do I have a problem?

I will attach a couple videos:
Pool Return Bubbles
Spa Drain Burping Bubbles

The bubbles from the spa drain are interesting. How are the valves on the equipment pad positioned? Maybe some pictures would help that show the suction side and the return side. The spa drain is used for suction so interesting you have bubbles exiting from the drain. Thus the need for pictures of the equipment pad.

The video for the pool return was marked private and not able to view.

If you want to activiate the flow switch then SWCG then that should be between 1500 and 2000 rpm. Every pool is different because of plumbing but mine run fine at 1550rpm. You may want to set the rpm to provide you the desired flow over the spillway.

If you are having bubbles in your pump basket then you may have a suction side leak. Is your pump basket lid on tight?

For salt level go by your salt test. The Jandy salt sensor will bounce around but as long as it keeps the cell operating that is fine. Remember that your salt testing has a 200ppm variance +/- 1 drop so don’t try to align your actual test to the Jandy sensor - they rarely agree.

rht,

Something is wrong, but I am not sure what.

If your are in the pool mode, then the spa drain should be off and I find it odd that you would have anything coming out of the main drain.

If you are the Spa mode, the spa drain should be under suction, and again, nothing should be coming out,

Sure seems like a lot of bubbles to me.

I too would like to see several pics of your equipment pad.. Make sure to tell us what configuration you are in when you see the bubbles.

They do look like the bubbles that a SWCG would produce, but usually it is not near that amount.

As a test you can shut the cell off and see if the bubbles stop and then start again when the cell is turned back on.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I think I fixed the permission on the video. Hopefully it is no longer private. Sorry about that. Lids on pumps seem to be tight. I will double check. Attaching pictures of equipment.

I will run test with Swg at 0% later today to see if things change.

The pool is in regular pool mode. Not spa mode.

Attachments

• 79EF0F48-50F9-463A-BDBC-02DAA596618F.jpeg
    79EF0F48-50F9-463A-BDBC-02DAA596618F.jpeg
    679 KB · Views: 38
  • E2BA2BEF-3B0A-4A1D-8130-12E0164F1B9B.jpeg
    E2BA2BEF-3B0A-4A1D-8130-12E0164F1B9B.jpeg
    792.4 KB · Views: 38
  • BA392B08-5EE4-4A02-BA13-B10EFC540710.jpeg
    BA392B08-5EE4-4A02-BA13-B10EFC540710.jpeg
    733.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 88DE4B7F-5F1B-4A0C-8C5D-9B0451D891B7.jpeg
    88DE4B7F-5F1B-4A0C-8C5D-9B0451D891B7.jpeg
    644.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DD0EA234-B04A-42A2-B0E7-111E4A550F9D.jpeg
    DD0EA234-B04A-42A2-B0E7-111E4A550F9D.jpeg
    581.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
rht,

I suspect that your problem is the tab feeder and the big upward loop that goes to your pool returns.

The SWCG is making bubbles and they are getting trapped in the tab feeder and the upward loop is helping trap them. As they build up, they finally get large enough to 'burp' through the system.

That is my guess and I'm sticking to it.. :mrgreen:

Why did they install a tab feeder to begin with??? I'd have the pool builder remove the tab feeder and the check valve that is only there because of the tab feeder,

Do you also have an in-floor cleaning system? I ask because it appears you have 'venturi' skimmers.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I agree with Jim that the big U loop on the pool return is probably trapping the SWCG produced bubbles.
Your spa suction is OFF - so how your are having bubbles arise from the spa drain is still a mystery.
You have no need for that Tab feeder. If you ever need to use tabs (like in the winter months) then use a floater.

I think I fixed the permission on the video. Hopefully it is no longer private. Sorry about that. Lids on pumps seem to be tight. I will double check. Attaching pictures of equipment.
The bubbles in the video of the return jets in the pool is typical of SWCG bubbles. No concern with those.

Keep us informed if the spa drain continues to bubble or it could have been a 1 time event that air being purged from the lines. It is a mystery. The picture shows the diverted valve is CLOSED to the spa drain so nothing should be entering that.

do you have any pictures during the construction process that may show the spa plumbing before gunite was placed?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The bubbles in the video of the return jets in the pool is typical of SWCG bubbles. No concern with those.

Keep us informed if the spa drain continues to bubble or it could have been a 1 time event that air being purged from the lines. It is a mystery. The picture shows the diverted valve is CLOSED to the spa drain so nothing should be entering that.

do you have any pictures during the construction process that may show the spa plumbing before gunite was placed?
The burping of bubbles appears to be a repeatable event. If I run the pump at 1600 rpm for a while, the spillover from the spa eventually stops. When I ramp up to 2750, I get the large amount of bubbles as I guess it is clearing the gas pocket.

If I run the pump at 2000 rpm rather than 1600 rpm, so far it seems the spillover never stops, so I’m assuming that is enough flow to overcome any gas build up. I get small bubbles coming from the drain in spa and return jets in pool.

Im told that in pool mode, the plumbing has the return to the spa coming up through the drain.

I don’t have many pictures of the plumbing prior to gunite. I will try to attach what I have.

As far as having the tab feeder as well as the SWG, it was supposed to be as a backup in case the swg goes down or for cold temps or whatever. I did not thing it would be a problem.

Attachments

• E58A90D2-B132-48BB-BBD4-E5D53AE7D541.jpeg
    E58A90D2-B132-48BB-BBD4-E5D53AE7D541.jpeg
    609.6 KB · Views: 11
  • FAE84CD9-A705-4B33-93E1-B1D25257A7A7.jpeg
    FAE84CD9-A705-4B33-93E1-B1D25257A7A7.jpeg
    845.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 043D21E7-80C6-4025-AE28-45FDCEE81172.jpeg
    043D21E7-80C6-4025-AE28-45FDCEE81172.jpeg
    719.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 8B3BDF30-2C36-440C-A17C-27D9F7ACB870.jpeg
    8B3BDF30-2C36-440C-A17C-27D9F7ACB870.jpeg
    518.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 75D80028-0041-4147-88D5-09EE088987AC.jpeg
    75D80028-0041-4147-88D5-09EE088987AC.jpeg
    620.4 KB · Views: 11
Im told that in pool mode, the plumbing has the return to the spa coming up through the drain.
rht,

So, in the pool mode a little water should by pass-the return valve and go to the spa.. This is what causes the spa spillover. That is why you have bubbles out of your spa drain.

That is not at all how everyone else in the world does it. This "extra water" is usually connected to the spa jets line or a separate line into the spa.

Thanks,

Jim R.

That would make sense to cause bubbles from the drain. I just never heard of putting it in the spa drain. I have a similar set up but my ”pool return” to the spa is to a wall return on the step of the spa. It constantly is pushing water from the pool to the spa and then the spa overflows back into the pool.

If I run the pump at 1600 rpm for a while, the spillover from the spa eventually stops.
If it is set up the way you say, if that “pool” return to the spa is open - it should always fill the spa to cause it to overflow back to the pool. It just may be that at low rpm, it may be a trickle over the spa spillway.

As far as having the tab feeder as well as the SWG, it was supposed to be as a backup in case the swg goes down or for cold temps or whatever. I did not thing it would be a problem.
Overtime tab feeders gunk up and the check valve restricts flow, etc. if you can avoid that is best and just use a floater in the pool if you need to use pucks. However, if you have to substitute for your SWCG, it is best to use liquid chlorine and stay away from pucks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.