Starting to clean a green pool with algae

OK, AGP 13,500 GALLONS, SAND FILTER

Im on day 5 of SLAMMING.

fc-13
ph-N/A (on this site) they said it would give false readings while SLAMMING
ta-250
ch-200
cya-30
Now, I ran out of the CYA drops to test and no local pool stores sell it, so I will have to order.(i did test last night) I did put 1/2 bottle of powder stabilizer just now. Like I said, day 5 of slamming, 21 gallons of bleach. The pool looks between light green & milky color.
Also, am I better off to add bleach at a slow level, or should I still "hit it hard"? BTW outside temp is 96 degrees. You're assistance is greatly appreciated.

No, if you are going to shock the pool, accelerate quickly to your SLAM shock level and stay there until you are done. You are trying to pass the steadily growing algae and sneaking up on it is not effective. SLAM IT and Slam it hard.

Liquid bleach or chlorinator is the correct tool for this job. Instant action!

Keep hitting it hard. No more stabilizer. You have to keep it at shock level to kill everything off.

Your done when
1 water is crystal clear
2 you pass the OCLT
3 CC of 0.5 or less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Ok friends, I'm continuing to SLAM hard...day 6...just added 6 more gallons of bleach. my FC remains at shock level..14 plus..shouldn't the water start to clear up soon? I'm up to around 30 gallons of bleach in 6 days..Please help & thanks!

13,500 gallon above ground pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I have heard of people using over 80 gallons of bleach total. Is your pool still green, or is it turning gray? Either way, SLAMming usually takes at least a week, and in really bad cases, or when people don't follow the process to the T (I'm not saying you aren't), can take 2 or 3 weeks.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say it didn't take your pool a week to turn green. You should never expect it to clear to a pristine pool in a week. Your filter has a big job to do and that will be clearing/filtering the dead algae out of the pool. You need to be sweeping, brushing, and SLAMing the pool and backwashing your filter when the pressure rises and I have not yet seen you post that you have backwashed or vacc'ed to waste.

You need to have patience and stop throwing chemicals into the pool (pucks). Go back to Pool School and read up on the SLAM process. You do not need anything but bleach and patience.

Casey said:
I'm going to take a wild guess and say it didn't take your pool a week to turn green. You should never expect it to clear to a pristine pool in a week. Your filter has a big job to do and that will be clearing/filtering the dead algae out of the pool. You need to be sweeping, brushing, and SLAMing the pool and backwashing your filter when the pressure rises and I have not yet seen you post that you have backwashed or vacc'ed to waste.

You need to have patience and stop throwing chemicals into the pool (pucks). Go back to Pool School and read up on the SLAM process. You do not need anything but bleach and patience.

Yes Casey, it didn't take a week...After discovering this site (which I love) I read that the SLAM takes 4-7 days. I just added another 10 gallons of bleach, which brings my total to around 50. I am/have been sweeping and backwashing as needed. (kinda obvious no need to post that) I do not need to go back to the pool school, as I said I'm on day7, and have been following the SLAM PROCESS to a T. Just trying to post daily updates as to where I am.. Edit to remove comment. Forum manners. Butterfly

pwrstrk said:
Could be affecting FC levels a little. We're changing colors so your making progress. Keep hitting it hard. It'll come around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Yea pwrstrk..just another 10 gallons of bleach..I think it's coming around....i have another 10 gallons on standby.. Should I pour that in tonight, because of no sunlight and temps will be right back into mid 90's in the morn?? Thanks so much!!

Inquiry. What strength is your bleach? What specs are you inputting into the pool calculator in order to arrive at the conclusion to add 10 gallons of bleach at a time? Given your stated pool volume of 13,500 gallons the calculator tells me that 10 gallons of 6% bleach will raise your FC by 46, 8.25% bumps it to over 60, yet you state you're aiming for and maintaining a SLAM level of ~14. Something isn't quite adding up. What am I missing here?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.