Starting SLAM

Apr 4, 2017
Cypress, TX
Had some issues after the hard freeze in Texas and now finally getting my pool equipment running again. Pool was a black swamp, complete with frogs and plenty of tadpoles!

Drained approximately half, refilled and now ready to start SLAM.

FC=0
CC=0
TC=0
PH=8.6+
TA=150
CH=75
CYA=>20
Salt=1000

Should I try to get one of the numbers more inline before starting SLAM? Also, I should leave my SWG unplugged during SLAM, correct?

-Drop your pH down in to the low 7s. Take your CYA up to 30ppm, but no more. Everything else will be retested after your -SLAM process is over.
-Have you found a good source for Liquid Chlorine?
-I would leave the SWG off as that saves the cell hours. Others use it as an adjunct to the liquid chlorine but I feel that may make it more difficult to monitor your chlorine loss.
-When its time to do the OCLT test at the end- the SWG *must* be off.
-Do you have plenty of your FAS-DPD testing powder and 0871 liquid reagent?? If not reorder early (now)

Maddie :flower:

Well...starting last Monday turned into actually getting my pump to prime and everything working last night. I added muriatic acid and now have the pH down to 7.3-7.4. I plan on adding a bit more to bring it down to 7.1-7.2.

Just started the CYA today with sock in the skimmer. I know it takes awhile for it dissolve and start showing up. Do I need to wait till it at least hits 20? 30?

Also, looking at the chlorine/CYA chart (Chlorine/CYA Chart), I see that say at 20 CYA I should be looking at the Shock FC column and see 8.3. Do I need to now put that in the Pool Math app so it tells me how much liquid chlorine to add?

Put the level of CYA you have targeted into Poolmath for now. Use that level while it is dissolving and you wait for your real test.

Start the SLAM now. Add the bleach to get your FC to SLAM level based on your targeted CYA level.

If you've got the sock in the skimmer, keep your pump running until its dissolved. Otherwise when the pump is off all that stagnant water becomes very acidic and then you get a big rush of acidic water rushing to your pump. Not good on your gaskets and such, y'know?

Day 3 of the SLAM.

At least the pool is somewhat blue-ish. I can only see to the 2nd step and have this foam on the surface. I've read that the chlorine may be reacting with something, but other than the mess I started with, muriatic acid (before SLAM), cyanuric acid (at the very beginning of SLAM & now dissolved), and 12.5% sodium hypochlorite (chlorine), I have no idea what it could be.

I have never reached the FC Slam target within Pool Math yet. That may be due to how far I've had to come and the contaminants in the water. I've already gone through about 9 gallons of chlorine, but ready with lots more if needed.

Any hints, tips or pointers?

Attachments

• April 23 22021 - Start of SLAM.jpg
    April 23 22021 - Start of SLAM.jpg
    785.4 KB · Views: 9
  • April 26 - Day 3 of SLAM.jpg
    April 26 - Day 3 of SLAM.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 9
have never reached the FC Slam target within Pool Math yet. That may be due to how far I've had to come and the contaminants in the water. I've already gone through about 9 gallons of chlorine, but ready with lots more if needed.
You should be testing your FC level every 2-3 hrs at the start to get your FC level up to SLAM.
Also run pump continuously to ensure good circulation and it helps to dissolve your CYA that you have targeted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Been testing 3 times a day. Morning, noon, and evening. I can maybe increase that 4 or 5 times a day. Say 8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, 8pm....maybe even a 6th at 11pm. Pump is running 24/7. I'm brushing/fishing (can't see the bottom) for leaves & debris twice a day.

CYA = 40
FC = 9.5 (tested in the last 5 min)

Getting closer to the Pool Math SLAM target for FC of 10.

Remember to check date codes on the chlorine. Fresh chlorine is stronger. CHlorine loses power with heat, sun and time.

The date codes are Julian Dates... like " 21110" which was recently the 110th day of this year. Don't buy anything older than 3 months. This may explain why you aren't reaching your goal level??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.