Starting pool service and number 1 question is "Do you service above ground pools?" Why?

cnshough

In The Industry
Jul 3, 2013
So, yeah. Just starting a pool service business and that's 90% of the questions I get. This leads me to believe nobody services above ground pools. Is that true? If so, why? What is the difference and why do cleaners shy away from them?

I think they believe they are not worth their time or effort. Honestly I think someone could do really well offering a weekly cleaning service for Intex style pools. All you need is a portable pump, cartridge filter and hoses. A typical above ground pool doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles to service and if someone is relying on those extras to stay in business then an AGP is not palatable for them. Sounds like you could get a lot of AGP business in your area.

My neighbor uses a service for her AGP and their techs have tried to sell me on their services when they would catch me working on my own pool, so there are some pool services that do service AGPs.

On average, less size means less of a charge to vaccuum and less chemicals to upsell. The travel time and fuel to get there end up making it a loss for the service company more times than not.

I'm going to say that ime abg are easier to clean than ig. So, idk why they aren't being serviced. All my previous pools were abg and I never once fell into the skimmer and whacked my head on concrete hooking up the manual vac. ?‍♀️???

I have been cleaning abg since I was 10 so its probably because I was comfortable with them. Someone going from ig to abg might think reaching over the side is a pain, but there's a lot more bending over with ig.

I can see where a discount might be expected as they are generally smaller, but not always.

Reactions: Divin Dave
What do services charge, i looked in atlanta and its $80 a month for once a week. Plus i am sure they charge extra for filter cleaning etc

Here where our COL is supposed to be very low, it's $300 a month per my doc (unless its PB's friend, then it's 400 to 500) ?

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.