Starting pool route business

Chrislid33

In The Industry
Dec 14, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Hey everyone,

I’m seriously considering buying a few pool routes and hiring a full time tech. Then I would continue to buy more routes and hire more techs. Couple questions...

1. How many pools can your techs clean in a day/week? Is budgeting for 18-20 fair if the routes are fairly tight? Everything I’ve read says 20 a day should be doable.
2. What % of revenue is your non-labor expenses? Everything I’ve read is about 20%.

Chris, Welcome to TFP where we teach people to take care of their own pools. Our method of care does not really fit into a pool route/service way of doing things as we teach to test the levels every day or so and only add what the pool needs on that day.

I would like to point you to our pool math though. You might find that helpful with your testing and such PoolMath

I would also like to share the basis for our pool care ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Kim:kim:

The # of pools a tech can do is limited by travel time between pools. You need to determine pricing and services per call in order to determine number of pools a week. Spa and pool monthly had a nice write in the previous issue.

You can keep as close to TFP guidelines especially if pools are salt water. Possibly show clients the benefits of converting if they are using pucks. Get after those single speed or double speed pumps and convert to VS. if they are puck pools you might have to look at other options such as weekly dosing of algaecide and or phosphate remover to counter the rising cya levels.

Congrats and good luck.

Remember, your company is only as good as your employees, train them well and keep them happy. Happy workers equal happy clients.

The # of pools a tech can do is limited by travel time between pools. You need to determine pricing and services per call in order to determine number of pools a week. Spa and pool monthly had a nice write in the previous issue.

You can keep as close to TFP guidelines especially if pools are salt water. Possibly show clients the benefits of converting if they are using pucks. Get after those single speed or double speed pumps and convert to VS. if they are puck pools you might have to look at other options such as weekly dosing of algaecide and or phosphate remover to counter the rising cya levels.

Congrats and good luck.

Remember, your company is only as good as your employees, train them well and keep them happy. Happy workers equal happy clients.

Thanks for the response! Do you have a link to the article you mention?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.