Starting pool ownership in Oregon

Apr 3, 2018
Portland, OR
Hello everyone,

Got a house with a pool with an attached spa with all the equipment, but with a little to no information from the previous owner on how all this works. The 15,000 gal pool was neglected for a few months (the spa for much longer, though) since the owner left without winterizing the system, but the winter was not bad and the system seems operational although in fair condition. Most of the debris accumulated was cleared after running the filtration system for a couple of weeks, but water is still not crystal clear, but pressure is already ~38 psi. There are a lot of dark dots on the walls under waterline, which looks like algae, and skimmer gates are green from it.

Testing with 7-way testing strips revealed zero FC, zero CC, zero CYA, no or very little salt (it is saltwater pool with GoldLine T-15 cell SWG, which may have to be replaced, though), pH 7.2, TA ~40, hardness ~250. I got TA up to 80-90 with baking soda and now I stuck with what to do next to make the pool usable by summertime. Add salt and turn SWG on? Shock first, add salt, and turn SWG on? Add CYA, then bleach, then salt, then SWG? Use trichlor that brings CYA and chlorine?

I got Pool Essentials Shock from Amazon that has 53.5% trichlor and 46.5% of other ingredients. It says use one pound per 10,000 gal for shock, but this will not produce the recommended in the table ratio of FC to CYA. In one post it says "the net effect is that in 10,000 gallons 1 pound of Trichlor gives 11.0 ppm FC and 6.7 ppm CYA", I presume it is if 100% trichlor is used.

For saltwater pool I need 80 ppm of CYA, so should I add salt fisrt, then bring CYA to 80 ppm, and then add chlorine as in the table?

What is the best course of action in my case? Thanks for advice!

Hi and Welcome! You have a good start in getting it cleaned up and the equipment running. NOW the next big step--------getting a good test kit. There is a reason we call the strips "guess strips". The only thing they are good for is to tell you if there is any think in the water. They are not good at telling actual levels.

There are two test kits we recommend.The Taylor 2006C and the TF-100. Here is a link to the page about them: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Once you get a good test kit you will really be able to clear and take control of the pool!

Kim:kim: