Starting new IG pool design process. Few questions before pb come over

While some love their Spas, the fact is that gunite spas are the most oversold and underused items in all build builds.. It is one of those "I love it" or "I hate it" things.. If you know for sure that you will love it, then it make sense to add it.. Otherwise, it makes no sense at all. While integrated spas have the biggest visual impact on most pools... They are not all that comfortable, nor do they have the seating options and jet action that standalone spas have.

When I want to use my spa, I walk out and take off the cover and get in.. With a gunite spa, you have plan in advance when you want to use it. Gunite spas are really made to impress your neighbors, while standalone spas are made to use, while at the same time being made fun of by your neighbors... :)

Jim R.

Last edited:
Chiming in again... As far as depth, we were told 3.5 - 6.5 was some kind of regulation. So, I quit arguing that I wanted 4-7. I am satisfied with the depth for our size 16x33. If you want a diving rock etc, I definitely would go deeper. But for us (to swim) and the grands to play it seems ok even with one of them at 6' (ours is 2 wks old, so I may complain later tho ?)

Thanks. No diving rock for us. I’ll see what the PB say when I meet with them. Regarding automation assuming I end up with a couple lights in the pool, vs pump with swg, one water feature say a sheer waterfall and solar heating what automation system would work? Won’t have a spa to control or audio so wondering which of the Pentair systems would be appropriate? Best I can tell looking at their website is the easytouch 4 or maybe 8 if I want to leave room for expansion with ScreenLogic. At this point I don’t know what the price differences are between them.

I have the EasyTouch and ScreenLogic and it works great... But.... if I were to build my pool again today, I would use the new Pentair IntelliCenter. There are several reasons for this...

1. The IntelliCenter is modular, so that you can add options if needed later... You can't do this with the EasyTouch
2. The IntelliCenter has the ability to have 100 schedules or programs, the EasyTouch only has 12 max.
3. The IntelliCenter comes with a ScreenLogic like system that allows control via your PC, Phone, or tablet.. The EasyTouch requires that you buy ScreenLogic separately.
4. The IntelliCenter comes with 5 relays, and it is easy to add more... The ET has 4 which is almost not enough and 8 which is more than most need.

If this were my new pool, I would have the pool builder quote both the EasyTouch 8 with built-in SWCG system and ScreenLogic... And, the IntelliCenter with the build in SWCG system.. I would then compare the prices and see what makes the most sense cost wise..

The EasyTouch will work fine for your set up, but buying it will be like buying an old TV.. Yes it will show you a picture, but it won't have all the wiz bang options that the new TV's have.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Tena
In preparation of meeting with 2 of the PB on my list one of them uses Jandy equip vs the other one that uses Pentair. I know this may be a Ford vs Chevy issue but all things equal if I like the design and builder who uses the Jandy equipment will I have any regrets? So far I’ve only researched Pentair products so I better a good idea of what they offer as far as the IntelliFlo pump, SWG and their automation package. Not sure how Jandy’s equipment measures up assuming.a pool that is about 14x33 3.5-5.5 deep

Also I was looking at wet edge signature and the builder uses Stonescapes pebble.

Just trying to be as prepared as possible

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.