Starting new Florida build

Second, settled with a pool builder I am very happy with. Designs attached and equipment below. Any suggestions or recommendations before I proceed? Wife is pushing for two water bowls sitting on top of the two columns. I think it would look great but my budget doesn't agree. Already spending way more than I ever thought possible on this pool.

Attachments

• 2019-03-11_19-52-53.jpg
    2019-03-11_19-52-53.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 2019-03-11_19-55-01.jpg
    2019-03-11_19-55-01.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 2019-03-11_19-56-33.jpg
    2019-03-11_19-56-33.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 98
  • 2019-03-11_19-57-24.jpg
    2019-03-11_19-57-24.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 95
Dimensions
Max Length 40'
Max Width 17'-6"
Depth 3 1/2' to 5 1/2'
Perimeter feet 120
Square feet 665
Pool Equipment Pump1 Filtration Jandy JEP2.0
Pump2 Features Jandy JEP2.0
Filter Jandy DEV60 60 Sq. Ft.
Lighting 3 Jandy Color LED lights
Sanitation Jandy AP1400 Salt
Automation Jandy PDA PS4
Jandy iAquaLink Yes
Returns 4 Wall Skimmer 1 –2"
Auto Fill Yes
Overflow 1 ½”
Drain 2 -2"
Vacuum line Yes –2"
Tile Waterline 6" x 6" Tile Coping 12" x 24" Travertine
Inside finish Pebble Tec/Sheen TBD –Standard color
Pool Deck Travertine
Drain 3" Waterhog
Spa Raise + 12" Jets 6 Venturi
Heater JXi 400K BTU LP Gas
Blower 1.5HP –220 volt
Light Jandy color LED light
Spillover Yes
Return 2 -2" Floor returns
Specifications: 23,185 Gallons Jandy Variable Speed Pump VS-FHP2.0
60 GPM x 60 Min. = 3,600 GPH
23,185 Gal. / 3,600 GPH = 6.4 Hr. T/O
Jandy DE Filter 60 Sq. Ft.
Dual Main Drains:
CMPF 10" Drain ring and cover 10-PTD-CLR
VAc Cap Hayward Vac Loc

I REALLY like that design!! Something for everyone!

Now lets talk about some of the features:
-deck jets-why do you want them? They look neat and make for a great "party trick" BUT they are loud and after a while you will not use them much. Once the guests have seen them you will end up turning them off. They can also be VERY picky about the filtering. If they get anything in them they are not easy to fix/clean out. Where you have them will cause splashing on people enjoying the pool as well. Just some things to think about

-aqua spout-what is that?

-I read where you wife would like the water pots on the columns. Those are very neat looking. They are also very loud as well. Maybe you could trade the deck jets for the water pots? Shhhhh but they also have fire/water pots!!! Talk about BLING!

Make sure your PB is using good valves. NOT the ball ones from the big box stores.

Have them put a light over the equipment pad if there is not a light in that area already. You will thank me when you have to go out there on a dark and stormy night LOL

That yard is going to be great for a pool! What kind of fence will you be using or will the screen be instead of a fence? One of our members has a list of stuff he says to make sure to have inside your screen. Let me see if I can call him over to share this with you @Brentr

This should keep you busy with some thinking for now!

Kim:kim:

I would recommend two of the following...Manneken Pis. He is very famous in Brussels.

But seriously, I like the look of water bowls, it's everything else about them I don't care for. It's one more thing to not use very often and have to deal with if there's an issue. Call me a fuddy duddy.

I'd consider pots of some nice perennials or something tropical looking. Or two non-peeing statues. Perhaps stately lions or flamingos or your other favorite birds.

Here are two lion statues that you could downsize. New build in South Texas Coincidentally, I just looked at his build and his bird water feature statues ended up leaking after a few years and he had them removed.

Last edited:
That is a fantastic backyard! Your pool is going to look great. Think hard about the deck jets. They typically don't get used much which makes it just one more piece of plumbing that can fail. Since they are in the deck it is a little harder to fix too...

I'd put bowls on top of the columns but use them as planters instead of more water going into the pool. All the sheer descents you have designed into the pool will cause enough pH issues...no need to add more.

I REALLY like that design!! Something for everyone!

Now lets talk about some of the features:
-deck jets-why do you want them? They look neat and make for a great "party trick" BUT they are loud and after a while you will not use them much. Once the guests have seen them you will end up turning them off. They can also be VERY picky about the filtering. If they get anything in them they are not easy to fix/clean out. Where you have them will cause splashing on people enjoying the pool as well. Just some things to think about

-aqua spout-what is that?

-I read where you wife would like the water pots on the columns. Those are very neat looking. They are also very loud as well. Maybe you could trade the deck jets for the water pots? Shhhhh but they also have fire/water pots!!! Talk about BLING!

Make sure your PB is using good valves. NOT the ball ones from the big box stores.

Have them put a light over the equipment pad if there is not a light in that area already. You will thank me when you have to go out there on a dark and stormy night LOL

That yard is going to be great for a pool! What kind of fence will you be using or will the screen be instead of a fence? One of our members has a list of stuff he says to make sure to have inside your screen. Let me see if I can call him over to share this with you @Brentr

This should keep you busy with some thinking for now!

Thanks for taking the time to look it over Kim.

Wife wants the deck jets. I didn't see the value, but she really likes the idea so I said whatever since they are cheap. Pool builder sided with her since so I was outnumbered. I agree with you, will be a cool trick for a while after which nada. By the way I agreed after saying no to 11k for fire bowls - win some lose some.

Aqua spouts = copper scuppers. Wondered why he calls them that.

Yes was very particular about valves. He uses neverlubes (with actuators depending on the application). I've visited a few of his jobs, very impressive equipment layout.

You are 100% correct on the pad light. I do have like a 2000 lumen LED flood not 15 feet away so might not be necessary. Pool will be surrounded by a screen and the yard is fenced now with 5ft high aluminum fencing. I'd love to hear what @brent says about having in screen enclosures though.

I would recommend two of the following...Manneken Pis. He is very famous in Brussels.

But seriously, I like the look of water bowls, it's everything else about them I don't care for. It's one more thing to not use very often and have to deal with if there's an issue. Call me a fuddy duddy.

I'd consider pots of some nice perennials or something tropical looking. Or two non-peeing statues. Perhaps stately lions or flamingos or your other favorite birds.

Here are two lion statues that you could downsize. New build in South Texas Coincidentally, I just looked at his build and his bird water feature statues ended up leaking after a few years and he had them removed.

Nice ;). The idea initially was to have two really nice planters on the columns. Then the whole water bowl thing started last night. Waiting for PB to tell me how much. My guess is 5k considering the grand effects bowls which he uses start around 1.5k each for the bowls alone. Wow thats a crazy build you linked. Looks like a 200k pool if built today.

That is a fantastic backyard! Your pool is going to look great. Think hard about the deck jets. They typically don't get used much which makes it just one more piece of plumbing that can fail. Since they are in the deck it is a little harder to fix too...

I'd put bowls on top of the columns but use them as planters instead of more water going into the pool. All the sheer descents you have designed into the pool will cause enough pH issues...no need to add more.

Thanks! Believe me I know about the jets. Didn't want them at all but the Mrs insisted after I killed her fire bowl ideas. Was planning for just planters on the columns. I suspect the jets will run a little after the pools done, when the novelty wears off for her I'll just shut off the valve supplying it.

I am going to see if I can remember some of what he says;

-Make one of the doors a "double" door. This will help carrying stuff inside and out (he always says he wishes he had listened to with wife on this one)
-water bibs at the far corners
-power for stuff on the far corners (now sure how you do that and water but.....)
There are some other things I cannot remember. I am sure he will be shortly.

Happy wife=happy life! If she really wants the jets so be it BUT you have to promise me you WILL turn them on when she is sitting on one of the benches so they shot right over her!!! hehe yes I am that BAD LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am going to see if I can remember some of what he says;

-Make one of the doors a "double" door. This will help carrying stuff inside and out (he always says he wishes he had listened to with wife on this one)
-water bibs at the far corners
-power for stuff on the far corners (now sure how you do that and water but.....)
There are some other things I cannot remember. I am sure he will be shortly.

Happy wife=happy life! If she really wants the jets so be it BUT you have to promise me you WILL turn them on when she is sitting on one of the benches so they shot right over her!!! hehe yes I am that BAD LOL

:laughblue::laughblue:You are so bad

Hi darksilkx, first congrats on your pool build It will be a very exciting stressful journey. I am late to the party so some of these may already addressed.
Allow me make a few suggestions from our experience.
1. Speaking from experience if you are putting in a pool cage. Put in a double door on one of the sides. I only had one door and ended up putting in a double door and another single door on the opposite side. I should have listened to my wife
2. Plan on plumbing electrical and water for a future summer kitchen.
3. Plan on adding solar and heat pump in your equipment pad.
4. Make sure that you have a very large equipment pad, our equipment pad is 19 ft long x 9 ft wide.
5. Put lights at pool equipment pad.
6. Put in water spigots in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
7. Put in electrical outlets in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
8. Go with a large outdoor space as possible. We have 1800sq ft of pavers and we wish we did a larger space. You will be quite surprised how much room tables chairs and lounges take up.
9. Run conduits for speaker wires if you plan on wired speakers.
10. Put in footers for future screen cage. Some people do not like the pool cage however we believe in it as we swim a lot at nighttime.
11. Plan on positioning your pool so that you can watch TV comfortably when you are in it. I know that this may sound strange but we love watching TV, football games, NASCAR races and movies when we are relaxing in the pool.
12. Place pool light facing away from the house, we had ours facing towards the house and we notice some glare from it.
Look at the 3 links in my signature bar for ideas. Post lots of pics :cheers:

Aqua spouts = copper scuppers. Wondered why he calls them that.

Hi. Hope I’m not hijacking here but did a search for copper spouts and this thread came up.

I’ve read some articles that copper can be pretty damaging in a pool. I have a very similar set-up to yours where I have five spouts that shoot water into my pool off of a wall on the backside of the pool.

My PB suggested copper scuppers which I absolutely love the look of (especially when tarnished), but I’m worried about copper leaching into the pool and causing stains, etc. He says it’s not an issue.

Have you experienced this with yours?
Would anyone else be worried about this or am I making much ado about nothing?

This is an awesome question!

When we say "no copper" in the pool we are talking about the chemicals that have copper in them. There are some algaecides that uses it as well as some of the "all in one" pucks/tablets. A lot of the time is the product has the word "blue" in the name that means it has copper in it. If you only use the chemicals we suggest in the link in my siggy below "recommended chemicals" you will be find.

The scuppers made of copper are fine to use and oh so pretty!!

Hi darksilkx, first congrats on your pool build It will be a very exciting stressful journey. I am late to the party so some of these may already addressed.
Allow me make a few suggestions from our experience.
1. Speaking from experience if you are putting in a pool cage. Put in a double door on one of the sides. I only had one door and ended up putting in a double door and another single door on the opposite side. I should have listened to my wife
2. Plan on plumbing electrical and water for a future summer kitchen.
3. Plan on adding solar and heat pump in your equipment pad.
4. Make sure that you have a very large equipment pad, our equipment pad is 19 ft long x 9 ft wide.
5. Put lights at pool equipment pad.
6. Put in water spigots in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
7. Put in electrical outlets in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
8. Go with a large outdoor space as possible. We have 1800sq ft of pavers and we wish we did a larger space. You will be quite surprised how much room tables chairs and lounges take up.
9. Run conduits for speaker wires if you plan on wired speakers.
10. Put in footers for future screen cage. Some people do not like the pool cage however we believe in it as we swim a lot at nighttime.
11. Plan on positioning your pool so that you can watch TV comfortably when you are in it. I know that this may sound strange but we love watching TV, football games, NASCAR races and movies when we are relaxing in the pool.
12. Place pool light facing away from the house, we had ours facing towards the house and we notice some glare from it.
Look at the 3 links in my signature bar for ideas. Post lots of pics :cheers:

Thanks for all the suggestions Brentr. Great points all around. I have a 32x15 covered lanai off the future pool deck that's been wired and plumbed for an outdoor kitchen - its also pre-wired for 4 speakers and TV so I'm good on that front. Will be building the kitchen as part of the project. Will work on the power, spigots and double door for sure.

Attachments

• 2019-03-15_11-07-30.jpg
    2019-03-15_11-07-30.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 45
Wow. That is an impressive pool. Would you mind PM’ing me how much your quote is for and who the builder is? Our pools are somewhat similar but you’re is fancy pants to the max and looks awesome! I have an idea in my head about where yours will be compared to ours.

Thanks for all the suggestions Brentr. Great points all around. I have a 32x15 covered lanai off the future pool deck that's been wired and plumbed for an outdoor kitchen - its also pre-wired for 4 speakers and TV so I'm good on that front. Will be building the kitchen as part of the project. Will work on the power, spigots and double door for sure.

Awesome pool! Congrats!

Just a small observation, it would also nice to have a larger full size fridge for additional beverages and keeping meats cool like hamburgers and hot dogs. I have a small under counter fridge which stays full all the time and I am already wishing I had a larger one. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.