Starting from Scratch! Do I add CYA or wait? (New 30k gallons of Water in-ground Quartz)

Aug 23, 2012
Test Results: I used to use a copper ion system but have since disconnected it... Please Know that I had yet to add any chemicals to the tap water when tested and still filling the pool as I type... It's pouring rain outside and will continue for the next week which will continue to raise the PH.

Test results prior to chemicals added: FC .07, Total Chlorine 1.75, PH 7.9, TA 85, CH 128, CYA 5, Phosphates 1134, TDS 600 Test results completed from a local branch of large corp company here in dville...

I have since added 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid and 3 scoops of Leslie Power powder plus which is approximately 72 ounces... I believe I'll need another 80 ounces at some point but (again the pool is only about half full at this point 15k gallons and still filling and should be full sometime this evening)

I have not added conditioner to the water yet as the clerk sated it was only going to get diluted due to rain... I argued with the guy thinking I'm going to need at least 8 pounds of conditioner regardless and I'd like my shock to bond to the conditioner to hold longer... Clerk seemed to think i need to wait until next week to add conditioner as we are expecting a weeks worth of rainy days... I simply don't agree and can see my pockets getting lighter from all the wasted money in shock that I'll be using for the next week without any CYA in the pool.

Any thoughts as to what I should be doing in addition to what I've added so far?

thanks in advance :)

I have not added conditioner to the water yet as the clerk sated it was only going to get diluted due to rain...
Yet another reason to stay out of the pool store - poor advice. Honestly, they are off the mark most of the time. A 30K pool is a LOT of water and the last thing you want are mistakes that could result in algae or another drain. So here are some basics:
- New water has no stabilizer (CYA) in it and you DO need some. The powders you added may have had a little, but with summer approaching you need at least a CYA of 40, maybe 50 later. The FC must be balanced to the current CYA per the FC/CYA Levels.
- Add some liquid chlorine now. Use our PoolMath APP to add about 4-5 ppm worth, then add about another 1/2 gallon per day for now.
- Do not try to adjust any chemical levels yet until you .... wait for it ...... get your own proper test kit. That is priority #1. You MUST have either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. Order one of those ASAP and post a full set of those results and we'll help you keep that water cleaner for less $$$.

I'll go grab some liquid chlorine and add over the next few hours in hopes of trying to get that fc in balance..

I have the Taylor complete dpd test kit but ran out of the CYA Reagent; which is why I chose to take the water to the local branch for their testing... I'll purchase some more of that reagent and continue testing myself over the coming days... Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the CYA... I've added a couple of socks full since to start raising it.

I'll follow up with test results periodically.

Thanks again

I have the Taylor complete dpd test
I believe that is the K-2005 equivalent. It's okay, but small bottles and missing the FAS-DPD. You really want that FAS-DPD for accurate FC testing, so see if you can get that for now. Have a great day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.