Starting a stock tank pool

Jbo_c

Jun 1, 2019
NE Georgia
Getting ready to start a stock tank pool. Will probably start setting up this weekend and fill next week. I am pretty sure I have high iron in my water. If I fill a bucket with a little bleach in it, the water turns brown like weak tea.

I have one of the recommended test kits on order and I've read the pool school pages(though I have no practical experience with the testing yet, obviously). However I'm unclear what my initial dose of chemicals should be. Suggestions for day one? Just an 8 foot round to cool off in at night. 700-800 gallons depending on how high I fill it.

Thanks for the help. I've been perusing the site off and on for a year or so planning to start this pool, so I'm looking forward to participating as a pool owner.

Jbo

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Are you going to have a pump and filter? Fill our your signature with the details.

You might want to try to filter a bunch of that iron out before balancing everything.

To balance, you will want to add 30-50ppm of CYA and then maintain adequate FC for it as shown in the FC/CYA Levels.
All other adjustments depend on the initial test results.

No, you're fine here :)

You know we're gonna want to see pics of this stock pool, right? Someone else did one a couple of years ago out of a piece of a silo. Obviously a lot bigger than yours, but cool idea all the same!

Maddie :flower:

I'll take some pictures when I have it set up like I want it. For the time being, it will probably just get rolled up onto the patio. I'll make it picturesque next year. At this point, it's just an upgrade to (literally) my wife and I sitting in wicker chairs with our feet in a 3' plastic kiddy pool in the evenings.

Jbo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a couple of links for encouragement?

Thanks, Richard. I read that one, but it sounds like I have to wait until the water is stained first(?). Is that right?

Jbo
I'd try running the hose past the fill anyway. It might catch some. A lot depends on the pH of the water and how it reacts when it hits air. Otherwise, connect a cheap pump and filter it through a bucket of pillow stuffing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.