Started a new pool "Passed Final Inspection, Questions on Pool Startup”

Typically skimmers are shot to the top elevation of the +0 bond beam (see pic).
Then the skimmer mouth is level with the middle of the tile.
I am only familiar with the sequence of coping installation prior to tile.

Attachments

• IMG_4062.png
    IMG_4062.png
    456.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4061.png
    IMG_4061.png
    262.7 KB · Views: 13
At this point I need options. Skimmer is set, I do not think changing the elevation is an option. The mortar they used to buildup the shotcrete to get the tile to waterline I assume would be failure point in the future. I am thinking they will need to add some tile below the skimmer opening and I will need to run the water level lower to match the skimmer opening not the tile. If I run the water level 2” below top of skimmer opening, I would be 1” below center of tile. Will skimmer operate properly at 1” above normal?

If I understand you correctly, yes the skimmer will work 1” above the normal level. Where you run into problems is when the water level is too low and a chance of sucking air into the plumbing.
The issue I am concerned with is the 30+ degree slope into the skimmer opening. They used Mortar to build up the pool shell to match the bottom of the waterline tile. I am adding new photo to better show the issue. Wider shot to show more perspective.

Attachments

• Skimmer.jpg
    Skimmer.jpg
    870.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    975.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Preface my comment that I’m no expert but it seems like the tile to the right of the opening is a fair amount higher than the bond beam. Is the bond beam level all the way around? In other words is the tile the same height above the bond beam everywhere? If so, could the tile be lowered? Might not get you all the way there, but would help some.

The issue I am concerned with is the 30+ degree slope into the skimmer opening. They used Mortar to build up the pool shell to match the bottom of the waterline tile. I am adding new photo to better show the issue. Wider shot to show more perspective.
That certainly isn't the proper way to do it.
The pool water level should be about 1/2 the way up the height of the skimmer throat and the entryway should be level with the bottom of the skimmer entry, not sloped downward from the pool to the skimmer itself.

Post a few pics of that area from further away so we get a better idea of the surrounding area.

Preface my comment that I’m no expert but it seems like the tile to the right of the opening is a fair amount higher than the bond beam. Is the bond beam level all the way around? In other words is the tile the same height above the bond beam everywhere? If so, could the tile be lowered? Might not get you all the way there, but would help some.
The tile installers said they used their laser to set tile based on highest bond beam elevation. There is an area along left side that is slightly higher and I think BB at skimmer is slightly lower. Tile is 3/4" above BB next to skimmer.

That certainly isn't the proper way to do it.
The pool water level should be about 1/2 the way up the height of the skimmer throat and the entryway should be level with the bottom of the skimmer entry, not sloped downward from the pool to the skimmer itself.

Post a few pics of that area from further away so we get a better idea of the surrounding area.
Here are some pictures more pictures. They also raised the tile on the SPA, I guess to keep elevation same relative to pool. The one pic is highest point of BB

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    666.9 KB · Views: 27
  • image0 (3).jpeg
    image0 (3).jpeg
    525.4 KB · Views: 27
  • image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    799.5 KB · Views: 27

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the last pic showing tile to either side of the skimmer opening - it appears the tile runing left/right of the skimmer are higher than the top of the bond beam. Is that correct or just the pic angle?

Time to have a serious discussion with the tile guys.

In the last pic showing tile to either side of the skimmer opening - it appears the tile runing left/right of the skimmer are higher than the top of the bond beam. Is that correct or just the pic angle?

Time to have a serious discussion with the tile guys.
They said they set tile based on hightest point on the BB. The spot that is the highest the tile is 3/16" above BB, it is the middle picture. At skimmer tile is 7/8" above BB.

I decided to break out the mortar and have them re-tile the skimmer. When I removed the mortar I could see there is tile all the way down on the sides. Tilesetter either changed the approach or got lazy, not sure. I calculated that if they tile the skimmer to the bottom edge it will be 2" below waterline tile. I did an image search and found examples of skimmer openings below the waterline tile. Does anyone see a flaw in my plan?

Attachments

• image0 (5).jpeg
    image0 (5).jpeg
    596.3 KB · Views: 25
Sorry to say, but that is some cruddy tile work.
All the grout lines need to match up.
For the side pieces into the skimmer, the joint between the tiles should have been about half way along the distance instead of having the very small tile piece against the skimmer mouth.
And the bottom edge of the lowest tile needs to be at the base height (or close to it) of the skimmer throat lower part. Then they fill in with small pieces of tile at the top of the bond beam.

Sorry to say, but that is some cruddy tile work.
All the grout lines need to match up.
For the side pieces into the skimmer, the joint between the tiles should have been about half way along the distance instead of having the very small tile piece against the skimmer mouth.
And the bottom edge of the lowest tile needs to be at the base height (or close to it) of the skimmer throat lower part. Then they fill in with small pieces of tile at the top of the bond beam.
I agree, the workmanship is horrible. I have found some other signs that point to the lack of planning the layout. They are supposed to redo the waterline tile since I caught them using Versabond thinset instead of one rated for water submersion. I will be more observant this time.

Reactions: proavia
I agree, the workmanship is horrible. I have found some other signs that point to the lack of planning the layout. They are supposed to redo the waterline tile since I caught them using Versabond thinset instead of one rated for water submersion. I will be more observant this time.
Which tile contractor did you use? Want to make sure I steer clear. I’m also in the west valley.

MOD note: Take the answer to PM please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tile and coping are finished, I was able to get the skimmer issue resolved. I passed final inspection. With plaster coming soon I have questions about prepping for startup.
I had fill water tested at pool store to check for Iron and copper. There results showed .1 ppm Iron and no copper
FC .56
pH 7.9
TA 126
CH 52
Only other high reading was Phosphates at 317 ppb
Their reading for TA and CH match what I was getting from TFP Test kit

Planning on doing a Bicarb startup. Pool Math shows I will need 32lbs of Baking soda I plan to add to 5 gal bucket and dose it every 1000 gals. I know I will need acid, what other chemicals will I need on hand at start up?
Equipment? I bought a pool pole and brush, anything beyond that?
Do I need Intellicenter automation programmed or can I just start pump manually using the panel?
Thanks for all the help getting to this point.