Started Slam - My first time

Incity17

Bronze Supporter
Jul 26, 2017
Hopkinton MA
This year, with the unusually warm winter in Northeast, I opened to a find a green Pool instead. I have pool opning/closing by a pool guy and I do the regular maintenance using TFP method.

5/1. - Opened Pool and started Slam. I added SALT, Calcium Chloride and Muriatic Acid and CYA. The pool opening Guy added a few of Granular shock (6 packs) on opening. I hasve added some 12.5% liquid bleach too. SWG has been turned off
5/2 -> Cleaned Filter, CL 18.0 , CC 0.5, SALT 2800, CYA 30, PH 7.9, CH : 325. WATER is bluish but cloudy. (Looks great from a distance, but I cannot see the bottom of the pool). Added Muriatic Acid
5/3 -> Cleaned Filter CL 16.0 , CC 0.5, PH 7.52. (WATER is bluish but cloudy. (Looks great from a distnce, but I cannot see the bottom of the pool)

I have not added any Chlorine since Day 1. I expected CL levels to drop more that what I am observing. I have NOT really tried to do the OCLT test, yet. I am guessing may be the Granular shock and Calcium Chloride (ICE Melt) haven't fully dissolved yet.
I know PH may not be accurate at high chlorine levels. am using a PH meter (Apera Instruments PH60) for PH measurements.

My target FC is 10, but I the levels haven't come down since Day 1 yet. I have never observed a CC level > 0.5, since day 1. I am going to keep at it for another couple days before I perform the OCLT test.
I have been brushing the pool twice a day.

Please advise if I am doing anything wrong.

Looks good to me (your methods). My pool was also opened cloudy (not as bad as yours). It cleared up in a few days. Looks crystal, TFP clear now!

I measured the CYA again.. It is reading 40.. (This is one of the reading that I am never very sure). But to be safe I will target FC shock level to 20 as per the change assuming a CYA level of 50.
Will keep at it for a couple days.

Day 4 passed the OCLT test but water is still cloudy.
FC 24.5 CC 0

I can see (very hazy on shallow end) some leaves at the bottom of pool. I haven't really gotten a chance to vacuum the pool, since opening because I was never able to see the bottom of the pool.

I guess I have to maintain the shock levels until the pool is clear. Will keep going

Thanks for that advice. I missed the vacuum daily part in the slam process. Started the vacuum. I vacuumed the pool twice today.

I have been maintaining around 20 Fc.
I have only been adding a half a gallon per day. I feel I could even maintain the FC BY turning on my SWG and a little add bleach if needed.

I tested again today at dusk.
FC 20.5, CC 0.5, CYA 50, CH 400, SALT 3200, TA 80, PH 7.35

I still cannot see bottom of the pool in the deep end. I feel I haven’t seen any improvement in the cloudiness of the water, in the last 2 days. Hopefully with daily vacuum starting today will make a difference.

Reactions: mknauss
DAY 13 ...

I have NOT made much progress on the SLAM. Water is still cloudy. I realized my FILTER is not doing a good job, (started cleaning filter daily and immediately after the vaccuum). I have new filter grids on order.

I am making really slow progress. Yesterday, I am able to see the main Drain on the deep end. Water is still NOT really clear.

I am thinking of letting the FC level drift to normal levels (May be between 8-10) until the new Filter Grids Come in . That way I get a chance to balance the PH before I resume SLAM when the new Filter Grids come in.

I will continue to keep up with Daily brushing, vacuum and filter cleaning.

My pump primes well after filter cleaning, but loses Prime within 12 hrs after.. I tried to look for suction side leaks, cleaned/lubed all o-rings did not find any. I ran the pump without the filter grids (primes well without any issue, did not run too long though).

My pool, guy thinks its the filter Grids (hence the order for filter). If that does not resolve the priming issue, I have to look further into the suction side for air leaks.

Just to close this thread. Thanks to TFP SLAM process, I finished my SLAM.
5/1 started SLAM
5/21 Finished SLAM

Took about 3 weeks. I was a little impatient, But I think I agree with all the posts on this forum.. Just have to stay with it and it will clear up eventually.

Doing the SLAM for first time and was a little impatient, 1) I used a clarifier a couple of times, 2) realized my cartridge filters are not filtering well and have reached their end of life (10 years old) and replaced with new filters.

I think I was already due for a new Filter. I dont think Clarifier did anything.. I just had to be patient and it eventually cleared up (21 days in my case).

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.