Western PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
On Sunday, 16-JUL during the day we started seeing cloudy water in our normally "Crystal Clear TFP Pool" water. The cloudiness gradually worsened throughout the day. When i was closing the pool up for the night, i set the SWG to super chlorinate since i assumed there was a load on the pool from the weekend and day.

Monday 17-JUL afternoon i was able to take a sample and the results were:
FCCCpH80CHCYASALTBORTemp
ZERO17802507032007086

Once i saw the results i added 2# of soda ash to bring the pH up as i knew i needed to start a SLAM.
i overshot my FC to 38, and my CC was at 1.5 @ 8pm Monday 17-JUL night

the following is a list of testing results and times, (full logs are in my profile).
after each test, i added the proper amount of 10% bleach (liquid chlorine from walmart) to bring FC level back up to 28
I've also been brushing twice daily, and using our robot as well.
I've scrubbed the steps, ladder area (inset steps), light (did not dissemble), skimmer and return, all by hand. I've also ran our deck jets for a few hours as well.
Date/TimeFCCC
Date/TimeFCCC
7/17 2000381.5
7/18 064528.75
7/18 101524.75
7/18 1230261
7/18 1630231
7/18 211527.5.5
7/19 070022.5.5
7/19 1230251
7/19 160027.5
7/19 213026.5

The FC loss seems to have slowed, but is still concerning. Hoping for a good OCLT test tonight.

Am i missing anything w/ the process and testing? How often should i be testing?
Also, should i have the pool uncovered? we have a solid auto-cover.

Thanks for the assistance.

-Phil

There's no reason to do the OCLT because you obviously aren't near done slamming. Keep going till the FC loss is next to minimal and you've met all 3 criteria. At that point you'd need to know "am I done" that's when the OCLT is needled. The CC is also not warranted until close to done bit just FC.

Last night's OCLT was not successful
latest test results are as of 0700 this morning
FCCCpHTACHCYASaltBORTemp

What else could i be missing? Should i open the cover and let the sun (cloudy today) hit it, or leave the cover on?
I'm not seeing any evidence of any algae or anything, pool is sparkling clean and crystal clear water, but it's eating through the FC overnight
Should i concern myself with the pH at this point?

How long could i expect this to continue?
i'm a bit anxious because we're going on a short vacation and do not want to come home to bad water, or unable to swim (too much FC). we'll be leaving next thursday morning and will be gone for 5 days

My crystal clear pool, took almost a week and I was pretty meticulous with keeping at slam. The day after I cleaned the top of my auto cover and changed the filters with new ones, everything went back to normal. Maybe check your filter and give the cover a mild cleaning?

*Oh and the PH test is invalid when CL is over 10ppm, you are fine with anything in the 7's too. You should also have to cover open more often than not to let the UV kill off the CC's. I closed it at night the last few days to let the water hit the underside of the cover just in case something was under there.

I'll give cleaning the top of the cover a try, not sure if that'll help, but it could use a cleaning
Filter was back washed pretty good the other day and rinsed as well (sand filter).
i'll open the cover as much as i can - we usually keep it closed most of the time w/ the kids playing outside if not swimming and when not home (even though our yard is completely fenced in as well).

will keep updating the thread w/ FC tests throughout the process - hopefully i can wrap this up soon, it's exhausting to keep testing / adding Liquid C

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.