Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
We’ve been doing a backyard remodel and tomorrow is finally plaster day! I’m curious any tips for start up after refilling. I know I have to brush the pool multiple times a day for the first week and we can’t make the switch to salt water generator for 30 days. My biggest question is, should I clean the filters tomorrow before we turn the pump on for the first time or wait and clean them in a week after the plaster dust clears, or both? Also, the pool has been drained for the last month while they chipped out, redid tile, etc. Do I need to be worried about any algae or bacteria having grown in the empty pipes? Any advice is appreciated!

Hi, congrat's on the progress! Must be exciting. I'll bump your post so others will notice and come and help. I'll leave your questions to them, but here's a tip, in case you haven't heard of it before.

This might be the last time your pool is empty. Take advantage of this opportunity to fine-tune your pool's water volume number, as this only works when you start with an empty pool. You have to keep an eye on the plaster guys, because they'll probably start your fill the minute they're done, without letting you know. Just before they do, run out to the street and find your water meter. Take a picture of the numbers. You'll probably be the one that has to watch the pool to turn off the fill. When your water level gets halfway up the skimmer's opening (that's usually the ideal water level), turn off the water and then run back out to the meter and take another picture (day or night)! The difference between the two numbers will be your pool's actual water volume! Water company meters are usually accurate to 1% or so, so you'll have a very accurate number. Do the same thing for the spa. The two numbers together will be your total water volume (which you'll use for calculating chemical doses), and if you do the pool and spa separately, you'll have good numbers for each of them as well, in case you might need them someday.

You can improve the accuracy of the water volume numbers by limiting water use on your property while the fill is running. Turn off your irrigation system. Limit showers and flushes. Take the day off from dishes and laundry, etc. The less water you use in the house, the more accurate your volume numbers will be...

Hi, congrat's on the progress! Must be exciting. I'll bump your post so others will notice and come and help. I'll leave your questions to them, but here's a tip, in case you haven't heard of it before.

This might be the last time your pool is empty. Take advantage of this opportunity to fine-tune your pool's water volume number, as this only works when you start with an empty pool. You have to keep an eye on the plaster guys, because they'll probably start your fill the minute they're done, without letting you know. Just before they do, run out to the street and find your water meter. Take a picture of the numbers. You'll probably be the one that has to watch the pool to turn off the fill. When your water level gets halfway up the skimmer's opening (that's usually the ideal water level), turn off the water and then run back out to the meter and take another picture (day or night)! The difference between the two numbers will be your pool's actual water volume! Water company meters are usually accurate to 1% or so, so you'll have a very accurate number. Do the same thing for the spa. The two numbers together will be your total water volume (which you'll use for calculating chemical doses), and if you do the pool and spa separately, you'll have good numbers for each of them as well, in case you might need them someday.

You can improve the accuracy of the water volume numbers by limiting water use on your property while the fill is running. Turn off your irrigation system. Limit showers and flushes. Take the day off from dishes and laundry, etc. The less water you use in the house, the more accurate your volume numbers will be...
That’s brilliant!

Reactions: Dirk
If you got that "32k" from the previous home owner, or even the original pool builder, you might be surprised how far off it is.

Hmm, nobody else stopped by yet... @ajw22, can you share those great startup articles you have up your sleeve?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.