Ayden, North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Searching for ideas others have done of installing a hose bib near the pool.
Will be connected to an existing 1-1/4" PVC irrigation main line; same line used to fill the pool.
Something like a yard hydrant, but more decorative and within a $75-150 budget.
Will be located near a black aluminum fence post in a flower bed.

Here are a couple of ideas I found:

I have also seen people curling the hose up inside a pretty pot. The hose is what will be the hose part to "make pretty".

Reactions: Newdude
I have three of these, but love them each equally (or so I told them). They match my pool furniture (all Suncast), like deck boxes for pool toys and end tables that double as towel storage. And I have a set of various sizes that hold all my pool gear and chemicals.

hose reel.jpg

Suncast seems to be indestructible and impervious to sun. I have several that are decades old. This hose "dispenser" holds at least 100' of hose (the fat "commercial" grade, not just the skinny ones), and the crank makes quick work of rolling up the hose. Keeps the hose out of sight, and more importantly, out of the sun. There is a molded bracket of sorts in the back, which you can hammer large spikes through to keep the box from sliding around as you pull out the hose or roll it up. You could run a PVC stub right through the open bottom, or right next to it, and connect a hose bibb there, or:

I feed one of them with a hose bibb I mounted to a vinyl fence post. I buried about a foot of it in the ground, and ran the PVC supply pipe up inside the post, then filled the post with dirt to keep it stiff and the pipe stabilized. I punched through the side of the post, near the top, and connected the bibb there. Then popped a cap on top for a nice finished look. I left it white (no maintenance), but they can be painted any color. I'll try to remember to post a pic tomorrow. I bought everything at Lowes.

Cap:

Hose box = $80
Post = $29
Cap = $8
Brass bibb = $13
PVC & fittings = ~$15
TOTAL = $145

Please remit the leftover $5 by money order, cashier's check or PayPal (no personal checks, please).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
My "bibb post" with the Suncast hose reel on the other side of the bush. I connected this bibb to the irrigation plumbing, which taps before my house's pressure regulator, so it's the only bibb I have with decent pressure. The Suncast box holds so much hose I can get to all of my backyard with it and half the front yard.

One of the many things my home's builder chinced on was bibbs. Only one in the front and one in the back. I added this third one but I wish I had at least half a dozen.

post and bibb.jpg

Last edited:
@Dirk just did a mic drop on this one!
Oh, you know me! My solution is very much like the Oasis Garden Hose Tap you found, but about half the price.

I forgot to mention, the Suncast reel has this gear mechanism that slides the hose back and forth as you reel it in, so it coils perfectly onto the spool without having to manage that by hand. It's very well designed.

The box is large enough, even with 100' of hose coiled up in it, to also store a few hose attachments (sprayers and sprinklers, etc).

Last edited:
If you never want to buy another hose reel get an Eley hose reel. Not cheap but they work great. Not the most aesthetically pleasing either. I have a 4 x 4 pressure treated post with white PVC sleeve and cap, copper pipe up one side with a ball valve and a hose reel on the opposite side.

Nice having it right near the pool and not needing to drag a hose all over the place.

Make sure you have way to winterize it.

Not sure if you get freezing weather there but if so you may wanna go with a frost free hydrant like this unless you’ll be winterizing the line. You could paint it to match your ambiance.
531B109A-F869-40BE-B17F-FA631EFF7D6A.jpeg

Just an update on what I did to provide a water source closer to the pool that may help others looking for something similar.
Scrapped the idea of a post mounted hose bib and went a different direction; underground.
Tied into the lawn irrigation main pipe and installed a Quick-coupling Valve in a valve box next to the pool deck in a landscape bed.
QCV's are commonly used on golf courses near the greens and baseball fields behind the pitchers mound.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like a good solution. But I hope you left yourself a way to add the post someday. I'm of the age where I now build stuff for my eventual age, not my current age. Something to keep in mind for your next project...

I put my bibb where I could easily reach it. They keep moving that dern ground farther and farther down!

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.