Jun 23, 2020
Ohio
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello,

I've been reading some threads regarding color hardener (broadcasted powder) vs integral color. I'm concerned around scratches with color hardener exposing the gray concrete underneath. I know integral doesn't color the stones, so if the scratch is deep/big enough, it won't matter.

My concern is mostly from a stamped patio we previously did. Within a few weeks, the patio chairs had left obvious scratches to what seemed like the grey concrete underneath.

How has your color hardener held up in regards to scratching? Would you recommend color hardener or integral?

We have a stamped front walk that has held up tremendously well. It is color hardener and is tough as nails. Based on that experience, we did the same with the pool deck. We are just at one year, but I have no signs of wear or scratching, and we have a ton of furniture out there. You can see it in my build thread link in my signature if you wish.

EDIT: I see you are in Ohio. Not sure where, but if if you are anywhere near Fletcher, you are sure welcome to come put eyes on it if it would help you to decide. So hard to make these calls sight unseen.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude and kimkats
Hello,

I've been reading some threads regarding color hardener (broadcasted powder) vs integral color. I'm concerned around scratches with color hardener exposing the gray concrete underneath. I know integral doesn't color the stones, so if the scratch is deep/big enough, it won't matter.

My concern is mostly from a stamped patio we previously did. Within a few weeks, the patio chairs had left obvious scratches to what seemed like the grey concrete underneath.

How has your color hardener held up in regards to scratching? Would you recommend color hardener or integral?
I can't imagine why you wouldn't go with integral color mixed into the whole pour if that is an option. It is likely more expensive and may be harder to find builders that do it that way for stamped concrete. Our builder did the color broadcast and troweled into the top. We haven't had any issues after 2 years but I expect to over time. Since I only have experience with one I can't compare but I always felt that mixing the base color into the entire slab would be best.

That said - I am surprised about your comment about scratching the service of the concrete. I haven't seen that on my patio but I am sure it could happen something heavy and hard enough was pulled across it. I can't picture patio furniture doing it but all my furninture is aluminum with plastic feet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.