Staining

ECan

Jul 7, 2022
Florida
Hello!

We have a 26 year old, 14,000 gallon, gunite pool. It has unsightly yellow staining, but we've been told it's nothing major. There are also a lot of metal stains on the floor of the pool. This house was just an REI, never owner occupied, so there's a lot of tlc needed. I read the article about ascorbic acid, but was wondering if it is possible to spot treat each stain?
The pool has a Northern exposure and a big shade tree over it. I just noticed some green under the lip of the pool deck. You can't see it unless you're in the pool. Can't reach it and see it at the same time out of the pool. The pool itself doesn't have any algae on the walls, floor, or in the water. I sprayed some vinegar and brushed off what I could. I tried power washing, but it was just taking off the paint. We are planning on painting the pool deck, but not yet.
My question is, is there something I can use to clean it while I'm in the pool?
I've attached photos of a sample of the rust stains, and the greening.
TIA
Elizabeth

Attachments

• ruststains.jpg
    ruststains.jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 10
  • greenstains.jpg
    greenstains.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 10
spot treat each stain
For the items that appear to be rust stains, rub a Vitamin C tablet directly on it. If it works and you need more, place a bunch in a thin sock or nylon and rub it over the stains.

For green/organic staining, it will take time, additional (or elevated) chlorine, brushing, and consistency. With older plaster, be careful about aggressive brushing.

For the items that appear to be rust stains, rub a Vitamin C tablet directly on it. If it works and you need more, place a bunch in a thin sock or nylon and rub it over the stains.

For green/organic staining, it will take time, additional (or elevated) chlorine, brushing, and consistency. With older plaster, be careful about aggressive brushing.
Our chlorine is too high right now, mea culpa. But the water of the pool doesn't touch the underside of the deck, so would adding chlorine to the pool still help? You're right about aggressive brushing. Thank you for your response!

I am reading the TFP article on home test kits.
Please do. Accurate water testing is the foundation of everything we do here to try and help pool owners. The TF-100 and Taylor K-2006C are proven to be quite easy and reliable to use.

As one example, if your CYA happened to be 50, you can see on the FC/CYA Levels your FC could go as high as 20 (SLAM level tab). So when new members come to TFP and say they think their FC level is high at 4 or 5, we let them know that only seems high because the pool store or generic recommended levels probably say 1-3 ppm. The FC/CYA Levels is based on science and acceptable FC-to-CYA ratios that are safe for swimmers yet still prevent algae. More info on our Pool Care Basics page.

As one example, if your CYA happened to be 50, you can see on the FC/CYA Levels your FC could go as high as 20 (SLAM level tab). So when new members come to TFP and say they think their FC level is high at 4 or 5, we let them know that only seems high because the pool store or generic recommended levels probably say 1-3 ppm. The FC/CYA Levels is based on science and acceptable FC-to-CYA ratios that are safe for swimmers yet still prevent algae. More info on our Pool Care Basics page.
Thanks again! I really appreciate the article links

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.