Staining/Dying Concrete Pool Deck

Apr 26, 2017
Waterford, MI
Hello all,

I've got a ~40 year old IG pool with a sidewalk-style concrete deck and coping. I'd like to stain the coping to a dark blue to match my pool tile and offer a bit more color outside. However, the reviews for the Behr or Valspar concrete "stain" or "dye" seem to imply they behave more like paint - peeling up and leaving bare spots.

Is there anyone here who has stained or dyed a concrete deck with success? What product did you use? And have you experienced any peeling or cracking?

What I would do is get some concrete pavers and buy samples of different kinds of stains. See what they do over time and go from there. I think you will be able to see if it is more paint like than stain as soon as you open the can. Paint=thicker, stain=thinner.

Kim:kim:

Look into Proline Dura Stain. This is probably along the lines of what you want. It is a reactive acid stain as opposed to a paint type. It won't peel, chip or alter the concrete surface texture......it wont make it more slippery.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.