Stained vinyl liner

I have too many questions...the pool calculator says I should have a shock value of 19 ppm but breakpoint chlorination would say I need 10 times the CC level to bring CC to zero. So with a FC of essentially zero and CC of 3.4, should I be striving for 19 ppm or 34 ppm? I don't know that I could get that high even if I wanted to... :blah:

Breakpoint chlorination is a long story that is rather advanced. Disregard that process. It just makes stuff difficult.

Strive for a FC of 19 PPM and keep it there. Test as often as you can, and re-add chlorine to maintain the FC level of 19. In a short matter of time you will see that you'll use less and less chlorine. At first the organics in the water will use up a good bit of your chlorine.....so keep adding often to kill them off.

Great-thanks again for the advice. I am going to dedicate Monday to slam properly. I will post results after that. Thanks to all who have responded to my many questions-lets hope for an organic stain!

Another thing is make sure you are fully prepared for the "fight". It's going to use alot of bleach if your CC numbers are correct (I've got my doubts that it's that high). You're also going to use a ton of Test Reagent, so make sure you've got a good supply on hand before you start. There are ways to "fudge" the test.....but for the most accurate testing you're going to use a bunch testing the chlorine levels.

Good tips... I will reread slam instructions-I suppose I had it in my head that I would see stabilization in the FC level after a full day. Seems like I read that I should stock up about 4 times the amount required to get to shock level, which puts me around 30 gal of 8 % bleach. Does that sound about right? I will be at the house all day on Monday, then back to work. Should I be considering trying to get home mid-day during the rest of the week to add bleach?

4 times the amount of bleach required to get to shock level is a good place to start (you probably saw that here: turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html). The timetable on a slam is different for different pools and situations. It may stabilize a lot in a day, and it may take longer. The more often you can check and adjust the chlorine the faster it will go. This is more important early on when the FC level is dropping quickly. If you can just check it 2-3 times a day after that first day, it will still work, it will just take longer.

I will be at the house all day on Monday, then back to work. Should I be considering trying to get home mid-day during the rest of the week to add bleach?
danacc has the correct answer. Being home constantly and testing and dosing 4-5 times a day may be the best but reality checks in and reminds us we have another life other than just the pool.

Giving it that first day of multiple doses will be a great start......I would certainly do that.

Then if lunchtime is a hassle, I would suggest dosing early AM, again as soon as you get back from work, and then a late night test and dose session. Those three will give you pretty constant progress.

Great info. I've gotta say how cool it is to have so many people willing to help that actually have the knowledge base to share. I have learned more in the past month than the previous two years of owning a pool and working with a pool store. Wish me luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok Ladies and Gents...day three of slam process. Day one had a total of 36 gallons of 8% bleach, day two had a total of 16 gallons...everything looking good at end of day two. FC starting to hold in the teens, CC driven down from 3.5 to 1.0. Continued with slam, but ran out of reagent. It has been ordered, but not delivered yet, so I am flying blind with chlorine additions until the reagent shows up. I am visually checking chlorine levels without titrating the sample, just to make sure I don't bottom out the fc in the mean time. I will post final testing results after completing slam....then it looks like I will be on to the original post...the stain. While the deep end has taken on more of the traditional blue look, the stain is going strong. I will post some pics with the test results (hopefully tomorrow). Thanks! :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.