Sta-Rite PLM-100 vs PLD-50

DThompson55

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Manchester, CT
When we first got our pool 20 some years ago it came with a Sta-Rite PLD-50, which worked fairly well until we had to replace it recently. The PLD-50 is a unique cartridge/DE hybrid filter. Our only complaint was that we had to disassemble it to clean it every couple weeks. It has nothing like a backwash. When it came time to replace I thought going with a larger filter might mean less frequent cleaning. Makes sense? So I went with what I thought was the next size up, the Sta-Rite PLM-100. The problem was the PLM-100 manual gave no guidance on how much DE to add. The PLD-50 uses 6 lbs, so it might make sense that the PLM-100 uses twice that? But we ended up cleaning it every other day. Yes, we have algae problems. Common wisdom says algae clogs filters. But every other day made no sense. Long story shorter, the PLM-100 is apparently not a cartridge/DE hybrid? It uses no DE? It doesn't say that in the manual. So hopefully we haven't ruined the filter. BTW, the outside housing mentions to add a DE slurry at startup, but doesn't give an amount. Very confused.

D,

Not sure there is a questions in there or not, but you are 100% correct.. the PLM-100 is a standard cartridge filter and you should not be adding DE. In your 50, the cartridge let the water pass right through and the DE is what captured all the junk. When you added DE to your 100, you kind of put two filters in series.. The water had to pass through the DE and the cartridges both clogging up quickly with algae..

In any case, I would just clean the cartridge and see what it looks like. If you can't see any visual damage, I'd stick it back in and run it. Algae can clog a cartridge filter (or DE filter) in as little as a couple of hours.

I suggest that you follow our SLAM process... SLAM Process

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.