Sta-Rite Max-E 400 Gas Heater

Nov 7, 2016
Roseville/CA
Hello, hope someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction. Noticed my heater keeps cycling on and off, throwing a check heater error message. It starts heating fine, then turns of with light indicating service heater, then turns back on and heats again. It stays heating long enough to eventually heat the spa to temp, as I only noticed this on the last heating and saw it was taking longer than usual. It stays on for like 2-3 mins, then off, then back on. I didn't notice an error message, perhaps I missed it. It is about 8-years old. Thanks in advance. Steve

Hello, hope someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction. Noticed my heater keeps cycling on and off, throwing a check heater error message. It starts heating fine, then turns of with light indicating service heater, then turns back on and heats again. It stays heating long enough to eventually heat the spa to temp, as I only noticed this on the last heating and saw it was taking longer than usual. It stays on for like 2-3 mins, then off, then back on. I didn't notice an error message, perhaps I missed it. It is about 8-years old. Thanks in advance. Steve
When it turns off, one of the error lights on the back of the board should light up. That is not the bad part, just an indication of what is happening.
Sounds like you have an internal bypass issue or the thermal regulator is bad. If one is bad, replace both.