Sta-Rite Max-E 400 Display

Nov 7, 2016
Roseville/CA
Hello, Have the above heater which controlled by Screen Logic. Noticed on the last few spa heatings, the heater just shuts off before reaching set temp. Noticed it kicks off around 85F. It never kicks back on. I have to toggle the spa on and off using the Screenlogic app, then it fires back up and heats accordingly. I looked at the digital display on the heater and the temp is bouncing all over the place, before finally settling on a really high reading. Usually about 308. Then it eventually kicks off. Didn't notice any error codes. Guessing the Thermister was bad, so swapped it out, and even changed the high limit switch too. Didn't fix the problem. Thought I would ask here before I keep swapping parts. Perhaps thermal regulator? The display will sometimes bounce back to reading a correct temp, but just for a second, then goes back to 300. I will add that I let my filters go too long between cleanings. They were quite dirty. Chems have all been fine all winter, just slacked on filter cleaning. They are fine now. Any ideas on what to swap out next?

Photo May 02, 8 11 01 PM.jpg

For a test replace the thermistor with a 10K resistor.

If the heater starts and reads 76F then you have a problem with the new thermistor.

If the heater does not read 76F steadily then you have a problem with the board or wiring to the thermistor.

Pentair MasterTemp Heaters - Further Reading

www.troublefreepool.com
www.troublefreepool.com

Temperature Sensors - Further Reading

www.troublefreepool.com
www.troublefreepool.com

full

full

full

It sounds like an erratic board, this would confirm it. Source was Allen’s. ajw22

Thanks for the info. Just had a chance to try out some of the suggestions. The stack temp is what is displaying. If I hit the on button, it will change to water temp. But after a bit always goes back to stack temp. Initial startup shows water temp, once heating kicks on it goes to stack temp. Guessing this is not normal? The answer to why it keeps shutting off, somehow the temp on the unit was changed to 85. Maybe a child was playing with the buttons, don't know or part of the impending doom of the membrane pad, or board. Still need to do a full heating to make sure its not something happening during the heating cycle. Hopefully just someone messed with the temp. Any other reason the temp would drop like that?

If the heater was set at 85, that would track why it would turn off and override the screenlogic setting. But would it make sense that if I toggle it off and on, it would then heat up past that set point? Will do a full heating tonight and see what happens.
Thanks for the info.

A faulty membrane pad can cause multiple problems.

It begins to act like someone is randomly pressing the buttons.

Try a new membrane pad.

You can use the part from a Pentair Mastertemp or the StaRite Maxetherm.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.