SR400NA Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm gas heater - no power

electro

Apr 28, 2020
New York
I noticed a few weeks ago when heater was working the panel went blank as if it had no power. Next day and next few weeks it was working great as usual.

Now, the heater won't turn on at all. I removed the cover and blew away a lot of debris. All wires look good. I don't know what else to look at. The power comes from filter on/off/timer box.

Is this something I can troubleshoot myself?

Do you have automation? If so, it has to have the heater "on" or the actual heater won't display anything. If no automation, check whether you have 24 volts (+/- a bit) at the board from the transformer. If not, you have to start at the source of power (switch, relay, breaker, timer, ?) and work until you find where it stops. Go from the source to the internal junction box and be sure power is there (and the proper voltage). After that, check the fuse inside the metal enclosure at the bottom below the Fenwal box.

I found the fuse is bad inside the metal enclosure below the Fenwal box. It appears to be a Bussmann 250v 1 1/4A <- this was difficult to make out. Hardware store has a similar Bussmann fuse, 250v 1A. Would this be okay?

You should use a 1.25 amp fuse…

I went to a few stores to find that fuse and nobody carries the 1.25a. Leslie's, electrical supply store, and autozone and they don't have it. Just ordered it on Amazon, but delivery isn't until Monday ;(. Hopefully, this is the only issue.
Thanks ajw22!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.