Long Island ny
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
Just finished installing new pool 18x36 4’-8’ deep have a 5 yr old and a 7 yr old both girls. Pros and cons of installing this slide. I did have pool builder run a water line for the slide, any thoughts appreciated.

Three bills?!? Yikes. Sorry, no slide experience. You need a poll to get a consensus if kids will use a slide over and over, or just a few times then get bored with it. I know my kids love their jumping rock, and use it a lot, virtually every time they're in the pool. So a slide sounds like more fun than that...

So here's a bump:
Who's got a slide? Does it get used often?

We had a 10ft tall inflatable waterslide with splashpool before the pool. No matter how many times we begged, yelled, bribed etc, the kids (mine and many that were not mine) would be horsing around after 15 minutes. We basically had to man somebody at the bottom of the slide so nobody snuck climbing up it when we werent looking for a second. It was fun but there were many minor injuries. We were just as happy to toss it at the curb when we were going to get a pool.

So one of the first things we asked our PB about was getting a slide. He stopped us and said he had just removed his own slide because he was sick of his grandkids always getting hurt, horsing around and banging heads. 'Funny you should say that mr PB...... i just took a razor to my inflatable slide because of the exact reasons......... how much for a diving board?'

When my girls were little, most of our friends and neighbors had boys. I do think that played into some of the problem. We have friends with pool slides and now that they are tween/teen, the girls at the pool party have no problems using the slides in a orderly safe manner. If its a coed party..... the boys are jumping off the top of the slide.

I have a SR Smith Vortex which is almost 11' tall and 21' long. I installed it when my son was 4, he is 8 now. I bet that slide has had over 100,000 rides. It is the most popular feature of the pool. The only downside I can think of is the $20k price tag.

I have a SR Smith Vortex which is almost 11' tall and 21' long. I installed it when my son was 4, he is 8 now. I bet that slide has had over 100,000 rides. It is the most popular feature of the pool. The only downside I can think of is the $20k price tag.

Well when you put it THAT way.............yeah, with a 21 ft slide there is no time to horse around, argue, push or shove cuz they are too busy trying to get back and have another ride on the TWENT-ONE FOOT SLIIDE !!!!!!!! All jokes aside, thats amazing.

Reactions: Texgirl
My insurance company said that they would cancel our homeowners policy if we put a slide in our pool. Diving board is OK, but slides cause more injuries.

Reactions: Dirk
I have contacted home owners insurance they have no issue with it just want to know we have one. I will post pics after slide has been built and installed we decided to go for it thanks for the feedback

Reactions: Newdude
Do you have an umbrella policy ? My insurance company didn’t care either but strongly suggested I get one because regular homeowners won’t go very far with the injuries that are possible now. God forbid of course. The insurance lady quoted me 28something and I panicked and thought she meant $2800 every 6 months on my policy. She meant $28.92 (?) a MONTH. Loooooool. Phew. Shut up and take my money !!!

Installed this slide last year and it was a hit. I was impressed by the quality and stability of the slide, adults seem to like it as much as the kids. Even granny tried it out. We did inquire to our insurance company and upped the policy as well. While my son is rather well behaved and respects things that are obviously dangerous, it has been apparent that some of his friends have less common sense and we have to watch them carefully. But honestly you should be watching anyone in the pool carefully anyway.

SR Smith publishes detailed requirements for the positioning of the slide that I recommend you follow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will definitely look into upping my policy thank you for the advice, I’m having my mason install the slide. He is a mason that specializes in pool work and has shown us pics of slides he has installed in the past, hopefully he will do the right thing, keeping fingers crossed. My friends and I built the slide and I have to say you don’t realize how big it is until it is built. As for other kids using the slide I have been reminding my kids of behavior and rules of slide and pool use, my spouse and I have also been talking about not being afraid to yell at and reprimand any kids that do not follow our rules and policies. I have begun to realize it might be a little head ache monitoring kids behavior with the slide but the fun will hopefully outweigh the problems we encounter

You’ll be fine. Stay on top of everybody and do your best. New kids were always my biggest problem. They may not have felt any need to listen with nothing invested in me. The regulars knew and generally behaved better. But millions of parents have said it before us ‘kids will be kids’. Plenty of them tried their best. Plenty more will be saying it after us too.

They will be doing plenty of swimming, jumping, handstands etc too. The waterslide is just one more fun part, not the only thing they'll be doing. Well, its a really really cool part, but still, there will be plenty of time that its not even an issue.

Just an fyi...according to my insurance agent, the issue with slides isnt the 'slide', its the ladder getting up to the slide. The majority of waterslide accidents (not that there's that many) are the result of horsing around on the ladder or not sitting down at the top of the slide.
Our previous pool had a slide like that. We had a strict 'one person on the ladder at a time' rule and in 7 years of heavy use, never had an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.