Meepmeep

Jun 26, 2020
Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Anyone in the mid Atlantic dealing with a spotted lantern fly infestation? They made it up through PA into NJ last summer and this summer we are overrun with nymphs turning into adults right now. These things love the pool and my external skimmer, pump skimmer basket and even filter are getting filled up with these bugs constantly. Many don’t even die when in the pump basket or in the filter! But the ones that do get ripped into shreds and there’s bug parts in everything. I’m washing the filter contantly (also due to my swamp outbreaks) but I’m curious if others are doing anything. I’m going to try a basket sock but any other thoughts?

Attachments

• C43774D0-3B8E-4140-89D6-06C7E87C8FA5.jpeg
    C43774D0-3B8E-4140-89D6-06C7E87C8FA5.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 15
We get flying ant invasions occasionally. Spray Suspend all around the pool and in the deck crack relief grooves. Have good results with that. Definitely skimmer socks.

I’m at 1 sock per day this week off the 10 pack I bought off Amazon. Those bugs are prolific. And these are still the nymphs… they are only about the size of a pencil eraser. when they are full grown they are the size of a large moth. Maybe 1/2 the size of a cicada.

Will definitely move to the hairnets as these aren’t going to last into next week.

You may want the large economy size pack. (AKA Lifetime supply)

Wow. We took the sock off for 2 days while we finished our slam (the socks were green with algae) and this is what happened to the pool filter without the sock.

Attachments

• 2BB965B2-20CD-4ABB-B6AA-D727C5AD3D19.jpeg
    2BB965B2-20CD-4ABB-B6AA-D727C5AD3D19.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Wow
Reactions: Newdude
Also do what you can to eliminate them on your property and itll pay off. We first got hit with slf in 2019 and sprayed the trees 2019 and 2020. We’ve had only a few nymphs on the property this year and are hoping we that we can be done spraying and tree banding will be enough.

they never overran our pool plumbing though

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.