Spots on Black Onyx Plaster

gpermen

Jan 16, 2021
McKinney, TX
Surface
Plaster
We just got black onyx plaster last week. There are numerous “light” spots which are very visible given the color of our plaster. We are told this is leftover after the acid wash. Since it won’t scrub off, the chemical/pool maintenance company re-plumbed our pipes to route around the heater and dropped the pH (?) level to a very low number. We were told to keep animals and kids out of the water and it wouldn’t hurt to wear gloves when scrubbing (3-4x a day) the surface. We were told this is “old school” treatment. This will go on for 3-4 days until they feel like they an get all the “light” spots off.
my question is this - what, if any, long term damage will this do to our new plaster/pool? Any long term issues with other components of our equipment? I want to be as educated as I can to ensure we won’t have problems down the road.

Welcome to TFP.

The "old school" acid wash is etching a layer of plaster off and hoping the spots are not very deep. You will see how successful it is when it is done.

Your plaster is a bit thinner and rougher after the acid wash. Not much you can do about that. It should not damage any equipment if your pool company does things properly.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.