Split Nut unions? Any reason not to order these for my T-Cell repair?

fields_g

Dec 25, 2014
Rockville, MD
I found these cracks in my 2" T-cell unions. They aren't leaking yet, but could easily see them becoming a problem at any moment. I really wasn't enthused at the amount of PVC work needed to just change the union nuts. Then I found this thread. They look perfect as long as they fit and hold up. I found them on Amazon and the reviews seem to show people doing t-cell repairs with them. Anyone have experience with them?

Also, would a paint help proactively protect the new unions from UV/elements?

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_155300.jpg
    IMG_20200625_155300.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200625_155316.jpg
    IMG_20200625_155316.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20200625_155444.jpg
    IMG_20200625_155444.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 26
My hot tub used them to attach the pump and the heater. It didn't make much sense to me as to why, a regular union would have worked, but this style fitting did in fact work well. As long as it fits everything of yours of course, sometimes the equipment is propietary and standard pieces dont fit/work.

As long as the fitting is rated for enough PSI for your system, you might as well give it a shot.

Be sure to read the cell date code also, yours has some age. Below the bar code on bottom of cell is a serial #. Will start with 1or 3 followed by the year the cell was manufactured as next 2 digits. Will give you an idea how much, if any, life is left in the cell.

Ignore the E after first #, next to digits is year of manufacturing, next 2 after that is month of that year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it will work but thanks for posting. I may give it a try. I split one of my T-cell unions completely around the circumference. I put it back together with a two part epoxy in the joint and then Flex tape around the circumference. It feels really solid but it is not a long term solution. Like you, I would need to do a lot of PVC work to just replace the union.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.