Spillover valve won't close

May 31, 2017
Melbourne, FL
Went to hop in our spa today (we're in the mid-60s after a month of single digits!) and noticed the spillover was running after I turned on the spa to heat. I figured the valve just didn't kick off, so I went to check (we use Hayward Omnilogic controls) and the valve looked like it was off. I have a valve override programmed in (there is a built in spa mode/spillover interlock that won't let the spillover run when spa pump is on) and toggled that. Watched the valve turn to the on position. Turned it back off, verified the valve handle moved to off position, but spillover still on. No matter what the position of the actuator, water is coming through the spa returns and running the spillover.

Is there any simple way to troubleshoot this? Should I take the actuator off and then turn manually?

Everything is working fine otherwise. There is a check valve plumbed in, so I can still use the spa if turn the pool filter pump off, but I really want to get this fixed as soon as possible.

We just had the pool installed this past summer, so everything is new. Last time I know for certain that everything was working correctly was the first week of January (I verified that all the balances were working when everything iced over).

L,

To switch between the pool mode and spa mode, both the Intake and Return valves have to move.

It sounds like your Return valve is moving just fine, but that your Intake valve is still sucking from the pool and not the Spa...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

My setup is that when in spillover mode, my spa is filled by two returns that are plumbed to the filter pump with check valve and actuated valve. There are 8 venturi jets plumbed to the spa outlet without valves. It is a closed system when the spillover returns are closed with the spa pump getting water from two large drains in the sides of the spa at the bottom.

It's definitely the spillover return line that won't close. I'm just OT sure how to troubleshoot the valve/actuator. Again, the actuator is working fine, it's just the water flows through to the spa from the pool whether the valve is in on or on position.

L,

Not sure I fully understand your Spa operation, but based upon what you have said.. I would have to assume the actuator is not actually closing the valve or the valve itself is defective.

As you suggested, I would remove the actuator and manually move the valve. If that did not shut off the flow, I would turn the pump off and open up the valve and inspect all the internal O-rings.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I took a closer look and it appears the actuator is broken. The part that connects with the valve crank is in two pieces. I bet it tried to activate when we had ice on everything recently (but it warmed up enough to kick the freeze protection off) it broke on some ice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.