Spillover rocks leak?

If you do seal it, only seal the spa side. Better yet, have it redone and use a high quality hydraulic cement or epoxy grout. From your pictures it looks like nothing more than Type S mortar was used which is not the correct product for that application.

I am not a fan of using sealers for waterproofing. If the spa wall was built as you describe, then hydraulic cement would be a good fix.

I agree. Don't like the idea of having the rocks removed and redone though unless I have to. Could I run a bead of sealer (thinking its like caulk?) along the bottom edge of the rocks on the spa side?

Sure you could, but I don't think it will help.

I think the answer here is the one you don't want to hear (nor would I if I were in your shoes) - the spillway stones need to be removed and the mortar bed and joints all need to be redone with a waterproof type epoxy mortar. The spa wall and bond beam are likely just fine since the water level simply lowers itself to just below the edge of the bond beam. So the water is simply permeating through the mortar and leaking out.

You say you still have $6k held in reserve. Do you think you can negotiate with the PB to get a properly trained stone mason to come in and redo the work? It will likely cost quite a bit of money but you could offer to pay half (by reducing the final payment) and let the PB chip in the rest. I would not let the PB do the work though as he has clearly demonstrated that he doesn't understand the hydraulic problems going on here.

I was afraid you might say something like that. PB still owes us some other things as well. I reached out to a couple of places this morning for quotes. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let us know what you come back with. It will be educational for all to see how this is resolved.

One of the company's that I reached out to had been out a few weeks ago to take measurements for a cover and looked at the leak then. I sent him a follow up email this morning about fixing the wall and he said " I hate to say no to any work but in this case I have to pass. In my experience it can be difficult to reset those stones and get them to seal properly". Wasn't expecting that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One of the company's that I reached out to had been out a few weeks ago to take measurements for a cover and looked at the leak then. I sent him a follow up email this morning about fixing the wall and he said " I hate to say no to any work but in this case I have to pass. In my experience it can be difficult to reset those stones and get them to seal properly". Wasn't expecting that.

Ooof...that's a bummer [emoji20]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.