Spillover question

rcerf

Gold Supporter
Aug 22, 2019
Eloy , Az
Hi everyone. First time pool owner and am I ever glad I found this site. What I thought was going to be a monumental task maintaining the chemical balance of the pool has turned out to be an enjoyable task , thanks to all of you. I have the Hayward Prologic automation and am trying to set up the spillover feature to come on automatically twice a day for thirty minutes. I have enabled the feature in the configuration menu and it works fine manually, but after reading the manual and scouring the internet , I can’t figure mout how to do it automatically. I must admit I am not tech savvy! I placed a call to Hayward tech support and the gentleman said he would have to get back to me...... Just heard back from Hayward support and he walked me through the setup. The one thing he said was it could not be set up for spillover at two different 30 minute timeframes , so I set it for 1 one hour timeframe. We’ll see how that works. Anyway if anyone has any experience using that feature I’d like to hear from you. Again, I appreciate all the information I’ve gotten from this site. Thanks, Ron.

Welcome to TFP.

See if this thread helps...

Or @mas985 may know

A group function is assigned to an aux button but you can only assign one time period to each button. However if you have two extra buttons available, you can assign different time periods to each while having the same functions.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I only have two aux buttons and one of them is used for the spa blower , so that only leaves one left. Now I see why I can only do one time period. Do you see a down side to one hour of spillover vs two half hour periods. Thanks for your help , Ron.

All you need is 15 to 30 minutes of spa spillover runtime to dump the spa water that is low on chlorine and replace it with fresh water that is at your pools chlorine level.

Your spa water will lose chlorine during the day from the sun UV. You need to keep your spa water above your FC minimum for your CYA level.

I run my spillover at 9 am to get a good starting FC level in it and then at 1:30pm to restore any lost chlorine for the rest of the day.

Running your spillover only once per day may let the FC get too low. You need to check the FC before your spillover runs and see what it is getting down to.

I recently enabled my spillover mode , but realized I could only set it to come on once a day , due to only having one aux relay available. What if I switched the toggle switch on the three way Diverter valve on the return lines to go into spillover in pool mode and go into pool mode when it’s in spillover mode. That way I could refresh the spa in the morning when the filter comes on and right before the filter kicks off in the evening. I would adjust the timers for each mode for 30 minutes when the spa is spilling over and the rest of the time in between spillover would be normal pool filter time. I hope that wasn’t to confusing !!!! Any thoughts on if this will work or if it’s even worth trying. Thanks, Ron.

With that setup, in spa mode, the spa will drain.

But why do you think you need two spillover periods? I have never used two spillover periods and never had a spa issue. I always run the spa before the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.