Spillover Bypass / Actuator Adjustment

bharris1

May 29, 2020
Los Angeles
Hi All -

I have a spillover spa setup, 20,000 gallon pool, plumbed with shared equipment and pretty standard Jandy plumbing, with a Jandy RS automation system. However, there is no spa bypass / makeup line. All new equipment, intelliflo 3hp VSF pump and 400k jxi heater.

I'm trying to decide if I should just run the spillover for an hour or so twice a day, or if I should adjust the cam in the return actuator and let a little bit of water constantly flow to the spa. I like the idea in theory of the spa constantly spilling over (It is not a splashing spillover, but just an edge that drops water into the pool).

Questions - if I adjust the cam, how much water / what % of flow should I adjust it to? If I adjust the cam and heat the spa, and then later decide I want to heat the pool, will the Spa cool down and make me regret my decision having adjusted the cam?

Whats the best way to do this / best schedule for it?

B,

In my mind you never want the spillover to run all the time, so I would go with the Spillway mode used by your automation..

If you decide to go with the misadjusted valve, how much is whatever it takes to get the amount of overflow you want. When you go into the spa mode, the spa will no longer overflow, so your heater will work fine.

You misadjust the return valve, when in the pool mode, so that most of the water goes to the pool, but some water still goes to the spa..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.