Spigot at Equipment - Follow On to "Replacing Pentair CCP drain port with a valve and hose attachment"

Randym4177

Aug 10, 2021
Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
As a follow on to these two previous fantastic threads
Replacing Pentair CCP drain port with a valve and hose attachment from JMastron and Pentair CCP Filter - replace drain plug with valve...

I don't have a spigot at my equipment at all, and I don't have a house one nearby either. I would like one to drain water at rain and also to use for quick spray off anything. My pool is connected to my irrigation system, so water would ultimately be coming from same place.

I was asking PB to come back and add one at top of pump line on way to filter as it is most convenient to reach, and he's suggested what's been done on the previous threads. I'd see the advantage of the hose at the filter for many of the reasons described above - #1 being the mess created when I drain the filter to clean the cartridges. (Picture attached).

Questions:
If the connection is at filter, should/do you have to run the pump when using the hose?
Could you run PVC further from the filter so that the ball valve is at a more convenient location to access?
Is there any additional value to the spigot at the pump rather than the filter?

Thank you

Attachments

• Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 40
Randy,

The spigot and the filter drain have two different purposes.

The spigot can be used to lower the pool level, although having an overflow drain in the pool is a much better idea.

The filter drain is there for two reasons.. 1. The drain plug can be very hard to get to, so adding a PVC drain line, with a ball valve makes it easier to drain the filter when cleaning the cartridges. 2. As you noted, draining the filter right at the equipment pad can be messy. The PVC allows you to drain to a more convenient location.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I have a hose spigot at the bottom of my filter. It's handy for "small" drains, but also to help me flush sediment out from the bottom of the filter.

So, if I put the spigot on bottom of filter does the pump need to be on to get water out of it?
For best results yes. At least that's the case with mine. If the pump is off, water will seep out, but slowly at first, but then once the filter is empty, water flow might stop depending on the plumbing set-up, valves, and height of the equipment pad. With the pump on, water will be forced out of the spigot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.