Pawleys Island, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Anyone figured out a way to remove these spider gaskets? They sell replacements, you’d think there would be a way to remove the old one. I’m tired of spending $100+ to buy the entire handle assembly. This will be two, this last one lasted less than a year.

Attachments

• 2156FBDD-D0B4-4A53-850E-9DA3F651D445.jpeg
    2156FBDD-D0B4-4A53-850E-9DA3F651D445.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 21
It is very tedious work to remove an old gasket. Try a small blade screwdriver and a pick. I have tried a hairdryer to soften it up with some success but don't use a heat gun as you do not want to melt any of the plastic needed to hold the gasket in place.

revitup,​

The suggestions from the other members' posts are good ones. I used a small flat screwdriver along with (carefully) using a small X-Acto Blade tool to remove some of the more stubborn old Gasket material from the Channel.

The bright side of the Spider Gasket Replacement chore is that after the 1st (factory installed Gasket) replacement, it's much easier to replace the Gasket when subsequent replacements are required.

I used Permatex® 80022 Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker Adhesive to glue the replacement Gaskets in the Gasket Channel.

I've replaced my Spider Gasket twice. The 2nd replacement was a fast routine replacement after going through the tedious initial Gasket removal.

My original Gasket was replaced after ~3 years.

The 1st Replacement Gasket lasted about 4.5 years.

Is a few years the typical lifespan of a spider gasket? I’m surprised given that our MPV still has it’s original spider gasket from 2004 and is still in great shape (I last inspected it May 2021).

Could a chemical balance issue or adding chems directly in the skimmer be the cause of a shortened lifespan?

I think one trick for long spider gasket life is always turn the handle in one direction. Don't turn the handle left and right when backwashing. Turn it the long way around.

The spider gasket takes a set and turning it back and forth can catch the gasket and rip it. Let it lay in one direction and turn the handle that way.

Reactions: borjis
I think one trick for long spider gasket life is always turn the handle in one direction. Don't turn the handle left and right when backwashing. Turn it the long way around.

The spider gasket takes a set and turning it back and forth can catch the gasket and rip it. Let it lay in one direction and turn the handle that way.

Yes, I’ve read that before. Also, I make sure to depress the handle all the way down before turning to make sure nothing is dragging across the gasket.

In some pics I’ve seen posted, the damaged spider gasket looks almost melted, which make me suspect a chemical issue.

Is a few years the typical lifespan of a spider gasket? I’m surprised given that our MPV still has it’s original spider gasket from 2004 and is still in great shape (I last inspected it May 2021).

Could a chemical balance issue or adding chems directly in the skimmer be the cause of a shortened lifespan?
Good question. I'm not sure about that point. I figure if I can get ~4-5 years out of the Gasket, I'm ok with replacing it at that interval.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m surprised given that our MPV still has it’s original spider gasket from 2004 and is still in great shape (I last inspected it May 2021).
Uh oh. Don't jinx yourself now. Ha. Knock on wood.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.