Speedstir Magnetic stirrer

I have one- you get a discount if you buy it along with the TF-100 kit. I like it, but then I never really did much testing without it- this is my first year with a pool. I can imagine things getting sloppy trying to swirl by hand and put drops in at the same time...

hmmm. I guess I will be the slightly dissenting voice. Nothing against it at all, but it isn't necessary to get proper results. If you want it for ease of use or just because you want it, no problem. But there's no proof that you get better results from it. Swirling is swirling. Take the TA test for example. When you drop in 2 drops R07, swirl it, cap it, replace it, uncap R08 and start dropping, your solution is still swirling. And if you know approx where you are with things, you don't have to add drop swirl add drop swirl ad nauseum. In CA or FC you can swirl before you add drops and drop in 10 to 20 drops before your solution stops swirling. And if your TA is in 60-80 range, you can see the color changing even as the drop hits. And again, swirling before dropping works just as well.

Again, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with having one, wanting in, and loving one. I would just contest that it is needed for accurate or improved results.

I happen to like swirling and playing chemist and see no reason to buy one and take away from my fun.:p

My opinion only, YMMV.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Again, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with having one, wanting in, and loving one. I would just contest that it is needed for accurate or improved results.
I agree. It will not give you more accurate or improved results. That depends on the reagents in the kit and the user's ability to follow the testing steps.

I do think it is a more efficient way to test and can provide more consistent results, which may be more of a challenge by swirling manually. For beginners, I think it's the way to go.

OK, I didn't know these existed until I saw it mentioned today in another post. Being in the middle of a SLAM since 7/18, and also having severe carpal tunnel in both my hands, I think someone's been holding out important useful device info that could be very beneficial to me, and my poor hands. LOL Just Kidding !!!

BUT, here's a thought. If these work as well as everyone says they do, which I'm sure they do (because I've never been mislead about anything by any of the wonderful people here on TFP site). Perhaps the SpeedStir should be mentioned in the initial SLAM procedure, as well as, that it can be bought from TFtestkits.net, as an item that could be beneficial in the process for all us newbies, like myself, who had/has little to no clue they even exist at all, and are unsure, and are searching for pointers/help on just about everything at that time anyway?

I am really considering getting one of these handy little gadgets, lol from TFtestkits.net, of course :), but 1st I have a couple of questions about the SpeedStir. Are the stir bars reusable, and if so, approx. how many uses can you get out of one? How many stir bars should be ordered initially, if extras are needed?

I read a post where someone mentioned they run on batteries, or cord. Do all the SpeedStir run on both, and if so, does the plug in adapter come with them too?

I also saw one post where anonapersona (I think I spelled the name correctly) had won one in a forum contest. Does this site have the contests, if so, how does one go about signing up to possibly win awesome, helpful, freebies like this in them? Thanks for the info and I sure wish I'd know about these 10 days ago. Have a wonderful night.

The stir bars last forever. Some like to have extras, I only have 1.

The SpeedStir only runs on batteries.

TFP has had a few contests, but not often. Maybe we will again in the future.

I agree. It will not give you more accurate or improved results. That depends on the reagents in the kit and the user's ability to follow the testing steps.

I do think it is a more efficient way to test and can provide more consistent results, which may be more of a challenge by swirling manually. For beginners, I think it's the way to go.

Just FYI, when you say that the stirrer will not give you more accurate or improved results, but then admit that the stirrer will provide more consistent results, you are contradicting your self. Any valid scientific test requires that it be reproducable (ie consistent)

I agree with eqbob and UN1017. Until I see evidence to the contrary, why pay for something I can easily do for free?
What evidence do you ned. Any titration test that is not properly stirred to provide a consistent test liquid is not an accurate test. If you stir manually, there is varaiblity in how much you have stirred the liquid manually. Did you stir it enough? So many times with teh speed stir, you add a drop, and will see a brief change in the water color. But after 5 seconds the water returns to its previous state. I am not convinced that this type of change is easy to see with manual stirring, because for many people, they see the chance and want to stop, not continue to stir when they think the stirring wont change anything.

I love mine.

As long as I do my own testing I will always have one. It allows for more consistent and quicker results. I will also use the built in LED light that shines through the vial. This works terrific in low light levels. Pink to clear is very obvious.

Thank you for the info jblizzle, OldPool, and Yev. Yev, I see we are fellow Kentuckians, there seems to be a few of us "floating," (lol no pun intended), around here :)

Thank you all again for the info, and have a Wonderful night.

In the field of laboratory science, of which I am a member with 30 years of experience, mixing samples by mechanical means makes a HUGH difference in outcomes! Currently, the instruments I use for analysis mix samples using ultrasonic mixers and without them the instruments will not function. The instruments even have sensors attached to the ultrasonic mixer to detect if they are functioning properly. If the sensors fail to detect that mixing is occurring the machine simply stops analyzing until the ultrasonic mixers are repaired or replaced. In analytical chemistry proper CONSISTENT sample mixing not only ensures precision it ensures accuracy as well.

I was a university lab assistant during my youth and would frequently see students perform Acid/Base titrations while hand swirling that Erlenmeyer flask, with a stir bar and base setting next to them! I would inform them of proper procedure by saying "I hope you like getting an F on this lab because you are hand swirling, love ya, mean it!"...folks, this was 35 years ago!

Consistent sample mixing + fresh reagents + clean glassware --> accurate + repeatably precise results. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

Thank you for the info jaduck. IMO not only will it accurately mix the samples it will also save a lot of manual swirling movements of my hands/wrists which makes them hurt worse too. So, it sounds like a win-win situation all the way around, and around, and around lol :). Thanks again, and have A Wonderful day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.