Speed Vs. Noise

Pantseatflyer

Silver Supporter
May 29, 2018
Farmington, AR
So I have a Pentair 1 HP SuperFlo with a 300lb Hayward sand filter plumbed with 1.5" PVC at about a 30' run.

On high speed, the sound is steady and smooth as butter and the flow rate is awesome on my 17K AGP swirling the pool toys in a clockwise circle! Pressure on the sand filter on high is around 20 PSI

If I flip the switch to low, the pump struggles with a loud rhythmic droning sound. The flow is still good but not as strong as high. Pressure drops to 10 PSI.

On both speeds, zero air bubbles in the pump sight glass.

A couple questions. Why does the low speed struggle? How many hours would I need to run the pump on the 17K pool?

Thanks much!

flyer,

You do not need to run the pump longer than it takes to skim your pool.. The idea that you have to have x water turnovers a day is a myth... it is just not true. We have some people that only run their pump a couple of hours per day..

On the other hand, you can run your pump as long as you want.

Personally, I can not see any reason to run a 2-speed pump on high except maybe when vacuuming.

Running on low speed will save you about 75% on your electrical bill.

Thanks,

Jim R.

flyer,

You do not need to run the pump longer than it takes to skim your pool.. The idea that you have to have x water turnovers a day is a myth... it is just not true. We have some people that only run their pump a couple of hours per day..

On the other hand, you can run your pump as long as you want.

Personally, I can not see any reason to run a 2-speed pump on high except maybe when vacuuming.

Running on low speed will save you about 75% on your electrical bill.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Is the rhythmic droning noise harmful to the pump? I’d rather run it in low to save $$. I usually run at night for around 6-8 hours. This is all new to me so I’m still learning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.