Speed Stir Help

carnivalday

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Oct 25, 2017
Ocala, FL
So I guess the assumption is that everyone knows how to put batteries in the speed stir, because I dont see any directions on how to do that. Any help with that please? And whats that little stir bar thing?That goes in the water? And I have to clean that off and dry it in between each test?

I think there is a little screw on the bottom that holds the battery door shut. You will need 4x AA batteries.

The stir bar goes in the measuring/mixing tube. It is swirled by magnets within the speedstir. Be sure to measure the sample size before adding the bar, since it raises the water level.

I don't try it between each test, but I don't dry the tube between each test either. I always rinse the tube/stir bar with pool water before testing or between tests, and flick the excess water away.

Okay, so I just have to rinse off the bar same as I rinse off the tube? okay. And I do see the little screw on the bottom, it never occurred to me to unscrew it. I thought the top would just slide off somehow. Ill go find a screwdriver. Thanks!!

I own three speedstirs. I do about ten full taylor K2006 test a day. I had one speedstir fail and while I was waiting for it to be replaced I bought another. My neighbor was able to get the first one working again but it failed soon after. I would advise keeping it as dry as possible when not in use. Leaving it outside or exposed to the elements (like in the back of a pick up truck) is not a good idea!

Reactions: carnivalday
If you want to go full lobotomy...
1) put a bunch of water in the tube
2) Insert and remove SampleSizer (I really like having this)
3) Drop in the SpeedStir capsule
4) Start stirring and adding reagents

More bars and a retriever are a great addition as well as the sample sizer. And might as well get a few extra Taylor sample tubs while your at it. My goal was to run all the tests at the table and then clean everything in the sink at one time at the end.

Bars & Retriever:

Might could shop around and find them cheaper.

So I guess the assumption is that everyone knows how to put batteries in the speed stir, because I dont see any directions on how to do that. Any help with that please? And whats that little stir bar thing?That goes in the water? And I have to clean that off and dry it in between each test?
Hi! The batteries go into the bottom of the Speed Stir. The magnetic “pill” (or bar/bean/etc., as some call it) is what will actually stir up the water and reagents when you turn on your Speed Stir. And yes, clean the magnetic pill and the cylinder after each use. Trust me, it’s a game changer compared to testing manually!

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I started out doing my tests manually, thinking "I dont need no stinkin Speed Stirrer". Then I decided to get one, and it is so much easier! I was really surprised. Glad I got it.

As usual, what I thought it was, isnt what it is. I thought with salt water pools that you had a container next to the pump to put the salt in, like a water softener. Wrong. Then I thought the entire glass tube spun in the Speed Stirrer. Wrong. Ill tell you what, these last few months have been a huge learning experience for me, in a very very good way.

• Love
Reactions: thefloatqueen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for that. I started out doing my tests manually, thinking "I dont need no stinkin Speed Stirrer". Then I decided to get one, and it is so much easier! I was really surprised. Glad I got it.
Trust me, I did not want to spend the money at first at all!! Now I’m kicking myself for not buying it sooner!! I didn’t get mine until September lol I manually tested ALL summer long. Never again!!!! Only manual tests I do now are pH and CYA! ? Glad you’re enjoying yours, too!

• Love
Trust me, I did not want to spend the money at first at all!! Now I’m kicking myself for not buying it sooner!! I didn’t get mine until September lol I manually tested ALL summer long. Never again!!!! Only manual tests I do now are pH and CYA! ? Glad you’re enjoying yours, too!

Ill tell you what, if it hadnt been for a oh so generous gift certificate, I probably wouldnt have gotten it. But I did get it, and the rest is history!

• Love
Reactions: thefloatqueen
Good gracious, I saw the little plastic “x” shaped piece in my new TFP kit and didn’t know what it was, I almost threw it away. Then I tried my smart stir and thought “This isn’t really stirring. Maybe the batteries are dead.” The smart stir hardly made a sound and barely jiggled, but the light worked just fine. THEN, I found this thread and thank goodness I didn’t throw the “x” away! 😂 Thank you for this thread, I had no clue how to work the smart stir, but now I do! Wow that “x” really gets to spinning! I love my new test kit, I love the app! Thank you TFP!

OK now that this thread is revived, let's add it needs to be full of water *and* the pill to work.

I opened my first test kit on my workbench, turned on the speedstir and tossed the pill in. Nothing happened other than the light came on. No vibrations, no movement, nothing. Clearly it came broken and I had it apart looking to solder something. With nothing wrong I added water and the pill in a last ditch effort and 🤦‍♂️ then :brickwall:. It was my own fault for having to see it in action before I used it to test.

• Haha
Reactions: Arizoniann
And whats that little stir bar thing?That goes in the water? And I have to clean that off and dry it in between each test?
Pro tip: get yourself some more stir bars and test tubes. I have 3 of each so I don't have to rinse the tubes or the bars between tests. I find it more convenient to rinse them all at once when I'm done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.