Speed setting for vacuum??

Mar 31, 2017
Nc
Hello all. Just finished a winter install. It's been a really windy week so the pool has gotten some extra debris and I'm using the very basic vacuum that was included with the pool install(still researching a permanent solution). It connects to the top of the skimmer and is very basic suction but it's a small pool so honestly I think it should be fine. I have a Pentair VS pump and my issue is even when I follow the instructions to prime the pump and make sure the line is full of water it seems the pool pump is struggling to pass through enough water and the water level of the pump dips greatly. I've played with a few speeds and I haven't found one that seems to work well consistently. Is there a good rule of thumb as far as speed or any other settings needed to properly vacuum without damaging the pump?
Thanks all!

Do you happen to have a main drain? If so close that and see if that helps. Most main drains are connected to the skimmer so by closing it all of the sucking power from the the pump will go to the skimmer.

Kim:kim:

No I do not have a main drain(unless I’m misunderstanding the terminology which is possible). I was told by the small size of the pool that a skimmer and 2 Jets was all it would need. I hope that was correct from the installer.

You do not need a main drain (main drain is the drain on the bottom of the pool). Quite a few builds have decided to not have them.

If you do not have one then we need to figure out why the vacuum/pump are not working. How high up the skimmer face is the water? It might not be high enough so is sucking air at the skimmer plate.

-Do you have the pump running before you connect the vacuum hose?

-Are you using a skimmer plate (sits on top of the skimmer basket and the hose connects to it)?

-Do you have the vacuum, with the hose connected, in the water while you are filling the hose (I know a silly question but.....)?

-How are you making sure the hose is full of water?

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.