Special fittings for slight misalignment

zz28zz

Mar 26, 2018
Austin, Tx
New DE filter and multiport valve mocked-up in place. Good news is the RETURN port of the multiport valve is facing the heater now. Bad news is the heater input is misaligned by abt 1/2".

Can't move DE filter the way I need to go since its as close to house as it can be and still get band clamp on/off.

Heater outlet pipe hould have to be shortened abt 1/2" (just before checkvalve) to move heater to right way. Propane line would also need tweaking. I'd rather not move heater but may have to.

I could rotate the DE filter and get alignment ok between multiport valve and heater inlet, but WASTE port wouldn't be square with existing waste pipe. (Maybe a 2" hose could be used to couple waste lines since there no serious press there??)

Is there a such thing as a 10 or 15 degree elbow for 2" PVC? I placed a scrap piece of 2"PCV in RETURN port of multivalve to show the misalignment with heater input.

Attachments

• 20210405_184758.jpg
    20210405_184758.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 28
Don't think I have enough room for 3 fittings. After looking at it some more, if I rotate the filter I can make the heater connection using a portion of the old pipe. This will mis-align the waste line but I later realized that I can make a 90 straight down then a 45 over to waste pipe and eliminate the twist from rotating the filter. Initially, I was over-concerned abt getting all the equip square. Equip is hidden behind stone wall, so asthetics are not really that important.

The multiport valve Input pipe from pump is the only tricky pipe build at this point. The design of the High Flow Multiport valve puts the input nipple facing stright down. From there, it's uphill to pump output so I'll probably wind up building a P-trap which will create a spot I can't drain water from. Maybe have a "T" at low point instead of a 90. That way I can install a drain valve to drain the pipe completely.

Reactions: JamesW
Thx for the replies. Think I have a good plan now.

Multiport valve came with a short clear piece of pipe with male threads on one end and slip fit on other end. I think it's to observe backwash flow but not sure why it's threaded on one end. Don't see anything I could screw in to. I'd like to have a view of the backwash. How is this thing supposed to be installed?

Attachments

• 20210406_152509.jpg
    20210406_152509.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 7
Got it all together last night. Everything went pretty smooth. Got waste line conencted using a 90 and a 45 deg fitting. Had to use a drain type PCV for the 45 deg elbow. It's very hard to find PCV fittings around here, especially 2" stuff. Had to hit 3 different box stores to get five 90 degs 2" elbows that I needed.

Installed a 1/2" pcv drain valve in pipe between pump and multiport valve. I'm still waiting on a inspection door for my JXI heater manifold. Took old inspection door and re-installed with 3 screws (the other 3 had their tabs broken off) then installed 3 wood working adjustable clamps on the portion of door where there was no support. It worked!! No leaks anywhere!! Whaoo!! Flow seems to have increased significantly judging by SPA overflow into pool. Looks like the heater itself survived. Yeah!! That was a big chunck of the $7500 repair estimate.

I was originally a little concerned about have so little room between back of DE filter and the house but since the multiport valve can now be removed/ re-installed w/o cutting any pipes, that concern has been eliminated.

Press at 18 psi with fresh DE installed. I was at 26 psi with fresh DE in old 60sf Nautilus filter but that gauge I noticed reads 6 psi sitting in the scrap pile. So larger the 100sf DE filter dropped press but only a couple of PSI best I can measure it.

This morn I remembered the water temp sensor I removed from old piping needs to be replaced (still works but it's old and cracked). The sensor was originally installed in pipe between pump and multiport valve. With my new pipe, there's no pipe section long enough to mount a sensor. Almost the entire pipe is elbows/fittings. There is a section of pipe right at the pump where I could drill a hole and mount the sensor.

So my options are to drill thru a 90 deg elbow or mount it right at the pump outlet. 3rd option would be to mount it somewhere else. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210406_214155.jpg
    20210406_214155.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210406_214138.jpg
    20210406_214138.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.