SpaGuard Spa Complete - Thoughts?

hotubbie

May 17, 2020
Dallas
Anyone have experience with SpaGuard's Spa Complete product? Their marketing message is not really clear and there is no information on chemical composition. It sounds like a combination of a water clarifier, softener and scents. I'm thinking of buying it since I already use a separate clarifier and tub crystal scents.

"SpaGuard Spa Complete makes the water feel wonderfully soft and look amazingly clear while keeping hot tubs noticeably cleaner. Waterline issues are also greatly reduced with regular use. Best of all Spa Complete contains soothing lavender and eucalyptus extracts."

Should I go with Spa Complete or will it create other problems?

Annotation 2020-05-25 183726.jpg

I generally avoid premix products, and anything that doesn't tell you what is in it. I have no idea if it is a good product or not as I would never try it.
Clarifiers are not necessary with cartridge filters and generally make more trouble than they are worth. If your water is that bad, change it out.
Many products for waterline buildup are enzymes to break down oils, which mostly come from lotion, makeup, hair conditioner, fabric softener, detergent residue, etc. If you do not bring these products in your spa you do not need to remove them.
I am not a fan of scents. A properly maintained spa should not have odors to cover up, and scents are usually oil based, so cause problems.
If you do try it, let us know what you think.

Well, I went ahead and ordered it. A lot of your comments were things I was thinking about as well. I've only had my hot tub about 3 weeks and I've started to really dial in the chemical and maintenance schedules. After a lot of trial and testing, I am not keen to make any changes, so I will use the Spa Complete product carefully and measure any results. Given how much various testing I've done, I will probably do a refill in a few more weeks. I figured I would try out the product a week or two before the refill and see how it goes.

Yes, I will comment back with my results.

Reactions: RDspaguy
since I already use a separate clarifier
From both reading here and my own experience with my spa cloudy water is a lack of appropriate chlorine levels, and clarifier should not be needed. The only times I've had cloudy water was when I ignored my tub between uses and the free chlorine went to zero. Bringing the chlorine back up to appropriate levels for a day or so cleared the water back up.

Do you have cloudy water or where you just adding clarifier based on some advise you got or something you read?

Reactions: tim5055
I have a bromine tub, so not chlorine. I wouldn't say my water is cloudy, but I have observed that when I use clarifier and enzymes the water is more clear than without. I did reach out to SpaGuard and their response suggested the below...

"The Spa Complete would replace the need for the clarifier, fragrance, and enzyme you are using."

This sounds like a pretty good plan since I use each of these to some extent. I'll try it out and report on the outcome.

So I've been running with it for a few days now. It does seem to help, but honestly I would prefer to do what I've been doing with manual enzymes and clarifier. As for the consistency itself, it looks, feels and smells like cloth washing softener. It does have a somewhat faint lavender smell, but not really that pleasant. I would advise others to pass on it. The only value I can see is that does make the maintenance a bit simpler beyond sanitizer and water level balancing.

I will probably keep using it (for now), but will probably not do a reorder.

Well, I used the SpaGuard Spa Complete product for about a week. My results were a lot of foam and a lot of buildout. I have returned back to my on-demand mix of clarifier and enzymes and are back to excellent results. So much for Spa Complete - I'm set to return it now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.