Bronze Supporter
Nov 22, 2021
San Antonio Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
New pool owner. Pool started Oct 2020 filled May 2021. We have just enough dampness in the yard on the spa side to cause that side of the pool to raise up due to the clay expanding. The pool builder thinks the dampness is coming from something other than the pool.

I’m assuming the new build picture includes some kind of waterproofing in the front of the spa overflow but not extending as far as the black mold is appearing.

Please zoom in on the picture. Water overflows from spa to pool 12 hours per day. Drips back towards spa wall and also take wind into account.

The gunite that is not waterproofed would be porous, right?

Anyone see black mold growing on a new build. Also note the calcium buildup on that tile below it has been pronounced since pool was filled compared to other tiles throughout the pool.
Thanks in advance.

D447DFF3-4650-431C-B9D1-4784EC58CBEA.jpeg

Attachments

• C3E7724A-972E-4C75-ABA8-05427BD98096.png
    C3E7724A-972E-4C75-ABA8-05427BD98096.png
    607.2 KB · Views: 20
  • C95BFA7D-39EB-4A36-BE86-2F4666BA6DA3.jpeg
    C95BFA7D-39EB-4A36-BE86-2F4666BA6DA3.jpeg
    650.6 KB · Views: 20
  • AC8B4689-9F3B-4F2B-9280-D305B1C4E301.png
    AC8B4689-9F3B-4F2B-9280-D305B1C4E301.png
    607.2 KB · Views: 19
That "calcium buildup" on the tile below is from Efflorescence - Further Reading

You clearly have water weeping out of the gunite from that area.

What is on the opposite side of that wall in the spa? Light? Jets?

I have a hole that was dug on the side of the pool by the trunk line that remains open because it still remains damp even with our weeks of 100’s (Texas). IMO, it is a small leak whatever it is but it’s caused huge damage because we have clay and it’s expanding on the spa side. (Pool company believes it’s water from another source.)
When The pool company emptied the spa into the pool to check for leaks for a day a while back the hole seemed to get more saturated. Any ideas why that would happen?
Where is the leak?
Leak 1 when pool was filled was a return that was cut short or at a diagonal and water was being lost both sides of pool when pool ran. (To right of spa) leaked for a month before it was fixed. image.jpg

Leak 3 on house side by deep end skimmer. Tile cracked and gunite by shelf. Pool company came out with epoxy but didn’t fix it properly because they said leak 2 is not the pool. image.jpg
image.jpg

I’ve hired my own leak detection company and now we are looking for another leak. Many new areas of concrete cracked. Ground is still wet in other areas (by deep end skimmer) even after epoxy fix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have a bunch of things going on.

Water travels and you are going to have to open up areas until you find the sources of the water.

I think you may need to remove the stone from the side of the spa and see where the wetness is. There is no telling if there are leaks in the spa plumbing in the wall.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.