SPA Water not recycle in the Pool?

bremeau

Oct 18, 2019
California
I have a pool with an above ground spa. As with most pool plumbing, I have two actuator valves for spa vs pool drain, and spa vs pool return. They are working in sync to be either spa drain and return, or pool drain and return. This makes sense when heating up the SPA, but do they alway work this way. I was under the assumption that the controller would once in the while drain the SPA in the pool and get fresh water from the pool, but it does not seem to be the case. Are all pool plumbing working this way, which means that you have to maintain the chemical balance on individually in the SAP and the pool?

Welcome to TFP.

You need to setup the SPA spillover to start and stop at certain times to refresh your spa water. My automation is set to run my spillover at 9:30AM and 1:30pm for 30 minutes.

I can't be more specific since we don't know any details about your pool. Please create your signature with details of your pool.

B,

How old is your pool? It is unlikely that it was not set up with either a constant spillover or an automated spillover like Allen talked about above..

Did it used to work and now does not?? When did the problem start?

A few pics of your equipment pad showing your Intake and Return valves and how they connect into the system would be great..

Thanks,

Jim R.

2019-10-19_15-58-59_IMG4206.JPG
2019-10-19_15-59-06_IMG4207.JPG

Yes I assume the SPA spillover water returns to the pool, but for this to work I assume that in SPA mode (i.e. filter return yo the SPA) it would have to drain from the pool , right?
In such case how can you warm up the SAP only?

Does your spillover actually run in Spa mode? I would assume that in spa mode only the spa drains and returns are working and the spillover does not work. That way if you heat the spa, you arent losing the heated water to the pool.

You are right that it is all about the SPA overflow to the Pool which I assume is what is know as Spillover on the pool controllers.
I assume all this was programmed by default in the control system (Pentair IntelliTouch System i7+3) but apparently not.

Observing the valve actuators in the pool shed::
1- if I press the SPA button on my panel (in the house) then the SPA runs in a close loop mode (draining from the SPA and returning to the SPA)
2- if I press the POOL button on my panel (in the house) then the POOL runs in a close loop mode (draining from the POOL and returning to the POOL)
This is done, by having the valve actuator buttons in the right position (one is set to on1 and the other one is set to on2)

The above is ok for manual operations to heat up the SPA or the Pool, but for all overnight programs running the SPA for an hour and the Pool for several hours. One would want the Pool to always return to the SPA first in order to mix the water (and chemicals). In fact one could consider the pool mode to always return water to the SPA.

I looked at the Pentair IntelliTouch System i7+3) and cannot find how to program this.

As I am not using the SPA for now, I setup the return valve to always go to the SPA (which does overflow to the pool), and set that valve actuator to off.

Last edited:
B,

The IntelliTouch comes set up to run the Pool mode and the Spa mode.. If you want to use the spillover function, you must set it up..

Basically you name one of your unused Feature Circuits "Spillway" and then set it's function to "Spillway". Anytime you turn on the feature, only the Return valve will move.. It will suck water from the pool and return water to the spa causing it to overflow into the pool.

You can schedule the feature circuit or turn it on manually..

Do you have ScreenLogic?

Thanks,

Jim R.

All right then I will program it: name one of your unused Feature Circuits "Spillway" and then set it's function to "Spillway"
I only have the Pentair IntelliTouch Indoor Wired Control Panel but it should be there in the Setup menu.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My Spillway is all set pumping water from the pool drain into the SPA return which in turns overflows back to the pool.
I figured an hour of spillway daily should (before running the SPA itself) should be good enough (after all the SPA is only a 1000 gallons).

Now that leads to your point about the pump speed, yes I do have Pentair STA-RITE IntelliPro VS-3050 Variable Speed Pump:
I wanted to see the Flow rate in GPM per RPM, but then realized there is another variable called Feet of Head for which I found this:

1- What do you guys typically use a pool like mine with 22,000 gallons pool (40' long x 14' wide x 4'-8'deep) with elevated SPA (7' x 7')

2- I see that all equipment (SPA, SPA Heater, Pool, Pool Heater, Cleaner and Spillway) are currently each programmed at 2000 rpm: What speed do you guys usually program each equipment at?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.