Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
If you have a spa attached to your pool how often have you looked carefully at the grout around the spillover and on the spa walls for cracks?

A few years ago I had some tiles come loose from my spa wall. I realized that the grout around the spillover had cracks allowing water to get behind the tiles and eventually pop them off. Since then, every season I look at the grout around the spillover for cracks. Today I did a repair of all the small cracks I could find.

Tools needed were:

- EZ Patch 4 White Pool Tile Grout or EZ Patch 4FS White Pool Tile Grout (The 4FS is fast set and can be used underwater)
- Grout Saw to remove loose grout
- Plastic sandwich bags to mix small batches of grout
- Plastic cup with clean water to mix with grout in bag
- Pail of clean water and sponge to wipe grout from tile

I lowered my spa about 9 inches so I could work around the spillover and it would be dry. I had used the EZ Patch 4 on previous repairs. This time I used the 4FS since there were some cracks where the tiles walls meet underwater. The 4FS sets very quickly. I mixed a very small batch of 4FS in a bag and pressed it into cracks with my fingers. I had only a minute or two of work time before a batch got too hard. There was a very short working period where the consistency was just right. I did about 8 batches to get all the cracked areas. I am letting it dry for about 4 hours before I turn the pool and spllover back on.

Pics below. You can see the clean white grout compared to the old yellowed grout.

If you have a tiled spa like mine I suggest you inspect it for cracks in the grout. A bit of preventative maintenance can prevent much more expensive tile problems.

IMG_0315(1).jpg

IMG_0316(1).jpg

IMG_0311(1).jpg

IMG_0312(1).jpg

Today I did my annual grout crack repair. Found some worn gout along the spa spillover and around the skimmer box tiles. Most were at 90 degree corners. Also had some hairline cracks that I patched.

A little bit of grout repair can prevent tiles from popping off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.