SPA SPILLOVER DESIGN

poolremodelnewbie

May 30, 2020
Los Angeles
Hello,
I want to make sure that the spillover will not dribble down the glass tile waterline or not flow out etc. I was going to use a glass tile on the spillway but the tile guy said that even with a pitch the water would dribble down the glass tile and calcify it. Instead we said that we would use the porcelain coping for the spillover but its bullnose.
1. I have read that we need to notch the bullnose so it spills out.Where is the notch? Do you see it? Is it sharp? The porcelain has been tricky for them to cut and I'm not sure how they will manage the notch without ruining pieces?Is the notch done with the saw? Just scraped with a sharp object?
2. Another option to the bullnose is the manufacturer has a color match mitered L shape now (see photo). However, for it it stand away (2" or more as needed for the spillway) the shape may be an issue here. Would this work?
3. I know the spillway shouldn't be flat. It needs to be pitched. It was prepped flat. How much pitch?

Please share your knowledge and ideas. Thanks!
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5908.JPG
    IMG_5908.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6068.JPG
    IMG_6068.JPG
    562 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6075.JPG
    IMG_6075.JPG
    492.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6076.JPG
    IMG_6076.JPG
    491.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6079.JPG
    IMG_6079.JPG
    480 KB · Views: 34
P,

Not sure it applies in what you are doing, but the notch that breaks the surface tension is on the bottom side of the lip that hangs over the pool.. It is about a 1/4 inch wide, a 1/4 inch deep and about 1/4 inch back from the front of the lip.

I don't see anything in your pics that is going to keep the water off the wall.. :scratch:

What do the tile people say??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.