SPA Return vs Jets

pskkd930

In The Industry
Jan 19, 2022
Atlanta
I had assumed I was only going to get one line back to my Spa for the jets so I had planned to have a bypass valve in my system to allow for some water to flow through when wanted Spillover and the rest of the water to go through the pool returns. I was going to adjust it based on how it looked and then just use an actuator to turn the bypass on and off.

The plumbing was completed today and we have two returns lines to the Spq. A Spa Return which has two lines which come out towards the bottom of the SPA and then several jets which are around the top also piped into the blower line. To some degree this could make things easier, but I'm curious how some of you use this. Do you only use the return for the spillover while in pool mode or do you use it when heating the SPA or just general SPA usage?

I ask because we have a stand alone hot tub and we rarely use the jets. We just like to enjoy the hot water and the peace most nights. So now I'm wondering if I need to change my equipment pad to allow for the return to be used while in SPA which will require another valve and actuator added to the mix. I'm also thinking using the the jets to heat the pool might introduce more air and heating towards the bottom of the tub makes sense but if the water is pulling from the main drain then maybe it doesn't matter.

As a side note this will be a shared body with an intelliflo VS so I also have the option of ramping up and down the RPMs. If the pump is running slow enough to just heat the water, do you even really notice them?

Thanks!

psk,

You need to have the spillover running when in the Pool mode as that is the only way the spa gets new chlorinated water.

Do you have an automation system?

Show us several pics of your equipment pad plumbing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you Jim. Agreed on the spillover. Plumbing isn't completed yet which is why I'm trying to figure this out. Was planning to accomplish that a couple times a day which now that I think about it is really the answer.

I don't think I really need a bypass valve after all. The bypass was going to be open a percentage to allow water to go to SPA while the rest of the water goes to the pool. I don't think that's really necessary now that I think about it. I'm using the Intellicenter so I should be able to use the spillover circuit and set the pump speed to what I need and accomplish the spillover functionality. I can then use that actuator on a 3way valve to choose Spa Return vs Spa Jets after the P/S valve.

This would be a lot easier to comment on if you could provide pictures. When you state two return lines and one goes to the bottom of the spa and then a line that goes to the jets (if I’m reading this correctly) the lines to the bottom are suction lines not return lines.
Plumbers are all different in how they lay out plumbing. What I see the most of is a main pump for filtering that allows water to return to the pool and spa via a automated valves. This allows for spillway water during regular run times. This pump would also heat the spa. A second pump for extra jets depending on the number.
As far as the speed of the pump during heating it can run slow enough that few if any bubbles are present but that’s a fine line. Hope this helps, Ray.

psk,

Be careful what you do as there are some set rules on how automation systems work.. The function of the Intake and Return valves, (which are used to change between the pool mode and spa mode) are preprogrammed into the automation. If you start adding other valves in the same path you can screw things up unless you fully understand the water flow.

Most systems that have separate spa "jets" have a second pump.

Just to make sure what you want to do will work, without some odd issues that are not apparent, you might want to double check with us to make sure. We'd need to see a schematic of the plumbing layout.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you Jim and Aqua. Appreciate the feedback and word of caution. I have the Intellicenter automation center set up in my basement with valves attached so I can get an idea of what will work and how. Obviously not fool proof, but I have learned a lot this week while pool is under construction. I will be sure to add some pictures when I have built it out :) We got a lot of rain last night and everything was covered before I could get a good look. For the spa there is a drain, return, and jets. I'm guessing the intention was to use the return as part of pool mode to keep spillover moving all the time and you may be right about having jets on a separate pump. The difference in this build is I am handling the equipment so as much as I tried we were not 100% on the same page with everything, but I don't think they did me bad by any means, just gave me more options.

I have learned the spillway circuit will give me what I want along with a downstream 3 way valve to push the spa water to either the jets or return.
So the return pipe from the heater will go to a P/S Return valve.
Pool side will go to the return jets in the pool
Spa side will go to a second 3 way valve(and actuator) which will either return the water to the jets or to the return. Also to flush the spa. Can of course change the speed of the pump depending on the need.
Pool mode will suction water from the pool skimmer/main and return to the pool. Nothing to the spa
Pool mode with spillover enabled will suction water from the pool and return it to the spa via the P/S Return valve
Default SPA return will be the returns and will add a circuit to enable the blower and jets(by changing the 3 way valve) which we likely would not do in Pool or Spillover
SPA mode will suction from the Spa return to the spa and likely heat the water. Jets and blower can be enabled as a feature

Last edited:
I don't think I really need a bypass valve after all. The bypass was going to be open a percentage to allow water to go to SPA while the rest of the water goes to the pool. I don't think that's really necessary now that I think about it. I'm using the Intellicenter so I should be able to use the spillover circuit and set the pump speed to what I need and accomplish the spillover functionality. I can then use that actuator on a 3way valve to choose Spa Return vs Spa Jets after the P/S valve.
Unless you have a spouse like mine that wants to see some water over that spillway at all times during day she would be looking at the pool. While pool is doing its daily circulating at low speed, I can crack that bypass a tad and push a little overflow for aesthetics. Yes, it adds aeration but for now that's my only option, a little open :)

Unless you have a spouse like mine that wants to see some water over that spillway at all times during day she would be looking at the pool. While pool is doing its daily circulating at low speed, I can crack that bypass a tad and push a little overflow for aesthetics. Yes, it adds aeration but for now that's my only option, a little open :)
Haha, for sure. All these decisions were spouse approved. I told her she can turn it on her phone and she was good with that. She's the one who doesn't like jets so it was not a huge compromise. To your point that's why I had the bypass in there initially, do divert some of the water from the pool to the jets while in pool mode. I think ultimately we won't use it enough to warrant another valve/actuator so this should work fine for us. We also have two sheer descents which will go on a separate pump. Worst case we can run those and just not have the spillover for a time

Haha, for sure. All these decisions were spouse approved. I told her she can turn it on her phone and she was good with that. She's the one who doesn't like jets so it was not a huge compromise. To your point that's why I had the bypass in there initially, do divert some of the water from the pool to the jets while in pool mode. I think ultimately we won't use it enough to warrant another valve/actuator so this should work fine for us. We also have two sheer descents which will go on a separate pump. Worst case we can run those and just not have the spillover for a time
Since our pool is new to us, give a few months and mine will probably be closed and just go to having my spillway mode cycling in to refresh :) But, gotta keep my options open, just in case, too :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.